Update March 14, 2017: Battlefield 1’s They Shall Not Pass DLC is out today, so EA have released the official patch notes.
As well as all the new weapons, maps, and other fresh features, the DLC also drops with a patch that adds a bunch of improvements to the WW1 shooter.
It’s a different conflict in a different time, but we have a list of the best WW2 games for you to check out.
Check out the patch notes below, and read on to find out more about the weapons, maps, classes and vehicles.
Battlefield 1 They Shall Not Pass patch notes
Party leader feature
- Every party will now have a party leader, usually the party creator, identified by a star. The party leader is in charge of joining a multiplayer game for the party. All other party members will be notified when the party leader has found a game. A normal party member can still join a multiplayer session but other party members will not get notified for it.
Weapons and gadgets
- As part of an ongoing effort to address excessive use of explosive gadgets and grenades, we changed the way grenades resupply for this release. The goal for these changes is to reduce the amount of grenades available while getting constantly resupplied, as it is common in choke points, without making resupplies unnecessarily long in other gameplay.
- Similar to some gadgets, all grenades slowly resupply when out of ammo. This resupply is greatly sped up when near an ammo crate.
- The resupply timers are as follows:
- Frag: 36 seconds
- Light AT: 36 seconds
- Impact: 36 seconds
- Incendiary: 36 seconds
- Gas: 27 seconds
- Mini: 24 seconds
- Smoke: 18 seconds
- Resupplies are 3 times as fast near ammo crates
- Reduced Smoke, Gas and Mini Grenade ammo from 2 to 1
- Ammo pouches currently no longer resupply grenades
- These changes are subject to tweaking in future releases. We are looking to expanding this system to more gadgets in the future.
- Decreased horizontal recoil from 0.7 to 0.3
- Full accuracy is reached one shot earlier
- Fixed bad reload timers on M1911 Extended:
- Tactical reload time increased from 1.4 to 1.6 s
- Empty reload time increased from 2.3 to 2.6 s
- Reload threshold reduced from 1.1 to 0.78
- Fixed staged reload timers
- Fixed an issue where the MG 08/15 would overheat much faster on PS4 and XB1 than on PC and set the new overheat threshold to 67 bullets
- Reduced rate of fire from 450 to 360
- Increased close range damage, allowing it to kill a healthy soldier with 4 hits within 16 meters
- Self-Loading Rifles and Pieper M1893:
- Made recoil decrease smoother
- Most recoil values were tweaked, but are not comparable to previous releases
- Updated the way the CONTROL value is calculated to better represent the amount of recoil that players have to compensate for
- Fixed an issue where spread would reset too quickly after firing
- Reduced base spread increase per shot of self-loading rifles from 0.25 to 0.2
- Decreased base spread decrease per second from 3.75 to 3
- Decreased the spread increase per shot bonus in ADS that Marksman, Sniper and Optical versions get to maintain the old effective spread increase per shot values of 0.125
- Added a small bonus to spread decrease per second for Marksman, Sniper and Optical versions
- Reduced the number of magazines carried by the M97 Trench Gun by 1
- Increased moving hip fire dispersion by 0.25 degrees
- Fixed incorrect CONTROL values for Low Weight LMGs
- Reduced first shot recoil multiplier from 1.9 to 1.8
- Reduced horizontal recoil from 0.6 to 0.55
- Reduced vertical recoil from 0.38 to 0.35
- Reduced Experimental third shot recoil multiplier from 1.8 to 1.5
- Doubled Experimental spread decrease per second in ADS
- Reduced vertical recoil from 0.44 to 0.40
- Increased horizontal recoil from 0.8 to 1.2
- Increased Trench and Storm first shot recoil multiplier from 2.65 to 2.8
- Decreased Factory first shot recoil multiplier from 2.65 to 2.33
- Increased Factory recoil decrease from 12 to 16
- Increased Frommer Stop Auto horizontal recoil from 1.0 to 1.2
- Increased 1915 horizontal recoil from 0.8 to 0.95
- Overheating now cancels ADS
- Increased moving hip fire dispersion by 0.25 degrees
- Increased Impact grenade minimum time before explosion from 0.7 to 1.0 seconds
- Increased Incendiary grenade minimum time before explosion from 0.67 to 1.3 seconds
- Increased Mini Grenade damage from 65 to 72
- Decreased inner blast radius Light AT Grenades from 2.0 to 1.5
- Decreased inner blast radius Assault AT Grenades to 1.5 from 2.0
- Reduced Tripwire INC ammo from 2 to 1 to better account for its high damage and AOE
- The crossbow launcher now regenerates all its ammo even when not reloaded
- Increased auto replenish time from 15 to 25 seconds
- K bullets now resupply in 2 s rather than 5
- Reduced suppression by friendly gas and prevented coughing at low levels of gas suppression
- Removed blast and impact impulse to prevent them from pushing and rotating planes
- Reduced impact damage to planes by 50% for fighters and attack planes and by 40% for bombers
- Fixed an issue where players could get the crosshairs back after pressing E while zooming in a vehicle in Hardcore
- The bomber will no longer destroy certain structures when crashing in to them
- Fixed an issue with certain vehicle gunner seats where the ADS stopped working once the weapon has been overheated.
- Fixed an issue where the UI did not update correctly when using certain gunner seats in the Heavy Tank
- Fixed an issue where the Armored Car turret accuracy was off, it’s now aligned with the cross hair
- Reduced A7V flamethrower range from 44 to 24 meters to better match the VFX
- Reduced A7V flamethrower speed inheritance and velocity and increased time to live for more predictable behavior
- In addition to the End of Round scoreboard, reporting emblems is now possible to do from the in-game scoreboard as well.
- The previous mid screen popup notification system has been replaced with a new notification system showing notifications in the upper left corner of the screen instead. This improvement has also solved a number of popup related issues.
- Added Behemoths and Full Magazine settings for use with Custom games
- Improved the kick reason when banning players
- Improved the Kick and Ban flows from the in-game admin
- Improved error message when losing network connectivity under certain conditions
- Rank icon for Hero Class is now displayed on the Weapons & Gadgets screen
- Server browser limit of how many servers to show has been increased
- Medals that are not taken are now shown as dimmed
- Time in Vehicles is now rounded to full minutes for vehicle stats
- Adjusted position of carousel arrow buttons on home to be less on top of the cards
- Class Rank progression is now shown on End of Round screen
- Speed-ups and streamlining of Battlepacks opening sequence
- Various mouse UI focus improvements
- Fixed bug where the title could hang if losing network connectivity while matchmaking into an Operation
- Navigating Battlepacks on Loading screen after entering a second time
- Issue with navigating BF4 assignments from BF1
- Rare occurrence where a number would be shown instead of game server name in the server browser
- Utilising $ in server filters now works correctly
- Rare crash when watching video in the UI for many hours
- Favourite star can now be seen when the favorite server is selected in the server browser
- Fixed hang issue when loosing connectivity on “Get Battlepacks” screen
- Battlepacks shortcut now updates correctly on home screen
- Removed incorrect progress bars from vehicle stats
- Disabled order part of commo rose in Team Death Match
- Fixed text alignment EOR Map voting in the Arabic version of the game
- Fixed text alignment in the Customize Soldier screen in the Arabic version of the game
- Fixed several typos present in various Codex descriptions
- Fixed an issue that caused the player list in the deploy screen not to be selectable as intended
- Soldier inventory now properly displays on HUD when option is set to always show.
- Fixed an issue where the Squad XP boost percentage number is shown out of place in the Arabic version of the game
- Minor text changes to Achievements
- Fixed an issue where the “Party Join” notification would still be active after the notice would disappear
- Sidearm skins are now visible in the kill card
- Fixed an issue where there was overlapping Arabic text on the Medals screen
- The Grenade Crossbow now has a correct Codex image
- Players are now rewarded with corresponding Dog Tag for obtaining Service Stars with the Crossbow Launcher
- The skip button for the Battlepacks unboxing sequence no longer appears twice when using a gamepad
- Shoulder button indicators no longer appears and disappears when using a gamepad
- Whole Magazine Reload. This setting will discard all remaining bullets in a clip when reloading.
- The Flare Gun is no longer available when choosing “Melee” only in the server configuration
- Reduced the intensity of the fog on Giant’s Shadow
- Fixed visual issue for the Medic’s syringe when used in certain indoor areas
- Fixed an issue where the “Corporal” trophy would not unlock when reaching the unlock criteria
- Ribbons now correctly award 500XP each
- Fixed an issue where the player would not get idle-kicked from the server when being idle
- Fixed an issue where the “War Bonds” trophy would not unlock when reaching the unlock criteria
- Fixed an issue where new installation of the game and its system files would fail due to missing files.
- Fixed an issue where the weapon firing animation becomes erratic when looking up or down.
- Fixed an issue where the wrong thumbnail image was being shown in the Map Vote screen for Ballroom Blitz
- Fixed an issue where it would rain inside of certain indoor areas on the Giant’s Shadow map
- Fixed an issue where the Heavy Tank exhaust pipes would not emit smoke when used operated
- Fixed an issue where the Torpedo Boat would not leave wreckage after being destroyed
- Fixed some clipping issues on the Giants Shadow map
- Fixed an issue where players sometimes would be quick matched into a server in the wrong region
- Medical Crates no longer explode when destroyed
- Fixed an issue where the weapon audio was muffled when spectating a player in first person
- Fixed an issue where the gas grenade VFX would not disappear if a soldier is killed by the gas
- Fixed an issue where a corrupted flag animation would be visible at the end of round sometimes
- Fixed an issue where a flag would appear to be floating in mid-air on Giant’s Shadow’s C objective.
- Fixed an issue where players would get stuck in a weird state if getting killed immediately following a revive
- Fixed an issue where players could see through the smoke clouds caused by smoke grenades while playing on low settings
- Fixed an issue where the screen would sometimes go dark suddenly after a bayonet charge
- You can now melee takedown opponents who are using stationary weapons/gadgets
- Players entering vehicles with Gas Mask equipped can now use the zoom in the vehicle gunner seats
- Improved messaging for spectators between battalions in Operations.
- Fixed an audio syncing issue with the Selbstladler 1906 when in the reload animation
- Added camera movement when firing and reload sound for vehicle mounted T-gewehr
- Added camera movement when firing for Vehicle HMG
- Removed Camera movement when driving on the MarkV
- Adjusted fire damage volumes across the level and reduced fire damage at B-Flag on Amiens
Update March 13, 2017:We’ve heard more about the guns appearing in Battlefield 1’s They Shall Not Pass expansion. Also – hope you’re into improvised melee weapons.
Battlefield 1’s long-awaited French army expansion, They Shall Not Pass, will come to Premium Pass holders tomorrow, and be available to buy two weeks later for everyone else.
“The hardened veterans of the French Army join the fight in the first Battlefield 1 expansion, They Shall Not Pass,” says the official blurb.
In addition to finally adding one of the main combatants of WW1 to the conflict, the expansion brings four new maps, a new mode called Frontline, a new tank, a new class, stationary gun emplacements, and plenty of weapons – both ranged and smashy.
Battlefield 1 They Shall Not Pass Weapons
First up are the new infantry weapons, which will need to be unlocked by completing Assignments.
A medic rifle that comes with or without a scope, the RSC suffers from a low fire and reload rate – but if you manage to get a shot in, it’ll do real damage. It’s worth noting that long ranges don’t seem to do it any favours either.
This LMG has a flashy curved magazine that allows you to fire off 20 shots without taking a pause. It’s a Support class weapon, and is suitably flexible: there’s the option of a scope if you intend to use it for covering fire.
Lebel Model 1886
Available as a standard infantry weapon or with a bipod and telescopic sight, the Lebel is a sniper rifle that predictably packs a bit of a wallop.
One of two new weapons for Assault specialists, the Ribeyrolles doesn’t just roll off the tongue. It also performs as a reliable automatic carbine, with a bipod that means you’ll have more success hitting things with it while prone.
The other Assault weapon is perhaps more entertaining – a Swedish semi-automatic shotgun that performs particularly well in the close quarters of the trenches.
There are also four new melee weapons, which tend towards the homemade end of things.
Probably the least sophisticated melee weapon in a Battlefield game – and certainly one of the nastiest. Just a long, bent nail used to jab people.
Sounds like a secret society at a posh UK university. Is actually a standard club with a literal cogwheel on the end, to add a little extra weight to any hit you land on an enemy.
Imagine the Nail Knife, but with a fancier name and snake’s head design that doesn’t diminish the fact that it’s being used for up-close shanking. That’s the Trench Fleur.
Last but definitely not least is the Raider Club. This is, straight up, a medieval mace that’s every bit as dangerous as its spikes make it appear. You won’t get to use it unless you’re playing as the Trench Raider, who we go into more detail on lower down the page.
Battlefield 1 They Shall Not Pass Maps
From perpetually aflame forests peppered with charred tank-traps and bunkers to cramped fortresses, They Shall Not Pass looks to accommodate every playstyle with a varied selection of battlegrounds.
See all four maps below, along with the official description for each.
“The opening barrage of the Battle of Verdun created massive forest fires in which players will fight for domination. This is an uphill battle towards the massive fortresses of Verdun. A constant grinding struggle where the artillery never stops. Where the forge and “the Devil’s Anvil” continues to consume even the bravest combatants.”
Fort de Vaux
“The first big engagement inside a fort during World War 1 takes place in the dark underworld of Fort de Vaux. Down in the maze of dark galleries and wet stone corridors, French and Germans fight ferociously with grenades, guns, bayonets, and flamethrowers. Watch your corners!”
“Take part in one of the biggest tank assaults of World War 1. The French 10th Army moves to take back Soissons using their powerful Saint Chamond tanks. Planes, tanks, and infantry clash in the beautiful French countryside in the early hours of a hot summer day. Only the thunderstorm is louder than the war.”
“In dire need to capture key bridges across the Aisne river, the French find themselves back into battlefields where poppies grow over a rusty wreck from previous tank battles. It might seem calm but this maze of steel beasts provides an excellent place for those who plan an ambush. As the sun sets over Fontenoy, the battle wakes up.”
Battlefield 1 They Shall Not Pass Game Mode
This mode blends Conquest and Rush, chaining together control points in a game of deadly tug-of-war. If you take a flag, the action moves up the map to the next. Make it all the way to the enemy base, and it shifts to Rush, with your team tasked with taking down telegraph posts.
Battlefield 1 They Shall Not Pass Vehicles
Based on the real-world French tank, this thing is the heaviest armour on Battlefield 1’s battlegrounds.
If you’re the kind of person who thinks more is always better, there should be enough guns on this thing to satisfy your needs. It’s like a Swiss army knife in tank form.
Operatable by infantry, this massive cannon works similarly to a mortar. Just call it in where you think enemies are likely to be, then watch the fireworks.
Battlefield 1 They Shall Not Pass Elite Class
Trench Raider Elite Class
Armed with a Raider Club and impressive grenade arsenal, this special unit is best suited for tossing grenades into trenches and wading in with a melee weapon in the confusion.
Here’s a short teaser that gives us a look at a French soldier and the country’s flag in the background.
Be ready. First details coming next week. pic.twitter.com/AOi2mYKlD4
— Battlefield (@Battlefield) January 20, 2017
Original Story December 19, 2016: Battlefield 1’s first expansion is launching in March 2017, finally bringing the French (among the main combatants of the conflict) into the fold. It seems we’re being whisked to the chaotic front-lines in Verdun and the surrounding battles.
Dice aren’t revealing the maps, but they’re showing off concept art and talking about inspirations. You’ll fight over “charred landscapes, muddy trenches, and close-quarter environments”, they say.
Those charred landscapes will seemingly be from the Battle of Verdun, in the Devil’s Anvil, where 40 million artillery shells were fired over the nine month skirmish. It would have been like fighting in the middle of Hell, bordered by charred trees and fire, with a landscape more battered than a lunar surface. A lot of the fighting here happened in trenches and tunnels beneath the artillery bombardment.
Elsewhere you will be fighting over Fort Vaux, a maze of underground corridors that will make for some tense, bottlenecked standoffs. Then there’s the Battle of Soissons, where massive French tank assaults took place, the armour battling for key locations and bridges around the village of Fismes.
They Shall Not Pass releases in March 2017, and you can get access two weeks early with a Premium Pass.
Head over to the Battlefield 1 site to look at some of the concept art.