There’s nothing in the patch notes to suggest fiery doom should you fail to install Far Cry 3’s release day update, but Ubisoft are quite insistent that you do.
The update should trigger automatically in Uplay, the Ubisoft’s PC client. Slightly disconcertingly, Ubisoft recommend restarting Uplay to try again “if your Far Cry 3 PC game crashes upon launch”. If it doesn’t trigger automatically you’ll need to download it manually and install it with your bare hands.
I’ve included the patch notes in full below for your perusal. There are stability issues fixed in both singleplayer and multiplayer, but as I say - nothing too insta-death game-breaking.
Fingers crossed and tied together by a mohawked mentalist for this one. Our Tim called it the year’s best PC shooter, after all.
- Improved overall Multiplayer stability and performance.
- Added SHOW TOP, SHOW YOU, PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN options in Leaderboards.
- Fix the voice chat issue that would mute players by default.
- Lobby chat can now be accessed when a controller is connected.
- Fixed graphical issues on loading screen hints.
- Fixed the issue that would prevent maps from being displayed or randomized the first time a user enters Public Co-op.
- Health regeneration option no longer has inverted functionality.
- "Flare gun" kills are no longer considered as Assist kills.
- Fixed ground texture resolution.
- Grass surrounding fire spawns no longer remain red on Firestorm maps.
- Improved white objects thumbnails legibility.
- Users can now start a private match in 1 player on user created maps.
- Improved game stability and performance.
- Fixed issues with flickering on specific water textures.
- Fixed small UI glitches related to different display resolutions.
- “Weapon cache” mission: Mission Zone and Mission Marker no longer stays on mini-map and on screen after mission completion.
- Crafting items are now auto selected when entering a new crafting category.
- Added sound when zooming in and out the camera with the mouse scroll button.