Back to Top

Epic’s lawsuit has forced the Fortnite Live organisers into liquidation

February 21, 2019: The company behind Fortnite Live has “ceased all trading activities.”

The company behind the disastrous Fortnite Live event that took place in Norwich, UK last week has announced that it has ceased trading following a lawsuit from the game’s developer Epic Games. As reported by The Guardian, the company, Exciting Events, announced its closure in an email sent to ticket holders yesterday.

The email came hours after Epic announced that it had “issued a claim against [Exciting Events] in the High Court of London.” The message read that “these proceedings by Epic Games had had a catastrophic impact on the company’s ability to trade, which has forced Exciting Events Limited to cease all trading activities immediately.”

The company says that its assets will be liquidated, and funds distributed to creditors. Two further Fortnite Live events had been planned, and all ticket-holders for those events will be included among the creditors. Exciting Events doesn’t give a timeframe for the refunds, but says that “the director will complete the process as soon as possible.”

 

In the wake of the event, which was oversubscribed, understaffed, and required attendees to pay to play a free-to-play game, Epic Games issued a statement to Eurogamer. It read that “the quality of our player experience is incredibly important to us,” and that “Epic Games was not in any way associated with the event that took place in Norwich, and we’ve issued a claim against the organisers in the High Court of London.”

Despite having not worked alongside Epic in any capacity, the Exciting Events used Fortnite’s name, logo, and key art in its marketing. Before the statement from Epic Games, the event’s organiser, Shaun Lord, had told the Eastern Daily Press that he hoped Fortnite Live could become “an annual thing.”

Elsewhere, Epic seems to be finding some legal success over its controversial use of several dance moves. Recently, the company has pushed to dismiss rapper 2 Milly’s case against it, a claim bolstered by the US Copyright Office’s claim that Alfonso Ribeiro doesn’t own ‘The Carlton’. Now we’ll just have to wait and see what the official word is when it comes to Flossing.

Back to Navigation