If you’ve been desperate to play Homeworld Remastered Collection but have been waiting for a DRM-free version, then good news: the updated strategy classic is now available over at GOG, and it’s launched with a 50% discount, to boot.
Want to escape Earth? Here are the best space games on PC.
When I looked at how good a job Gearbox did in remastering Homeworld, I was pretty impressed. The Remastered Collection is like playing Homeworld for the first time again, and it looks and sounds just like I remember, which is to say that it looks gorgeous and thoroughly modern.
Here’s what you get with the Remastered version:
- Build and battle with more than 100 space ships
- Updated high-res textures and models
- New graphical effects
- Support for HD, UHD, and 4K resolutions
- New audio mix using original source effects and music
- Cinematic scenes recreated in beautiful high fidelity by original artists
- Mod support and mod tools
- Bonus archival versions of Homeworld Classic and Homeworld 2 classic, preserving the purest form of the original releases with compatibility for modern operating systems
- Access to Homeworld Remastered GOG Multiplayer: play Homeworld races against Homeworld 2 races with up to eight players on 23 maps, plus brand new game modes
The prequel, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, is also brilliant, and well worth a look if you can’t get enough of the universe. Despite being set on the ground rather than space, it manages to capture everything that was great about its predecessors.