PCGamesN – that’s us! – is looking for a freelance news writer to find and cover the biggest and bestest PC gaming news stories. This is a full-time gig that pays £25,000 per annum through regular monthly commissions, and would suit someone who already has a bit of experience writing news.
You’ll be working alongside another experienced writer to cover the goings-on of the industry during our evening shift, which is 4pm to midnight UK time, or 8am to 4pm Pacific. The timing would be ideal for someone based on the west coast of America, though we’re talking applications globally as long as you can work the hours. The expectation is five stories per shift, unless otherwise agreed with the News Editor.
So what are we looking for in our future evening news writer? With a talent for writing, you’ll be able to find the story in everything from a press release, to a live stream, to a Reddit comment thread. You will understand and be able to write exciting copy about the latest triple-A games, long-standing favourites, niche PC gems, business dealings, and all the weird and wonderful things that gaming communities get up to. You’ll also know where to find these stories, and be able to write them up in a timely, authoritative, and accurate manner.
Though you’ll work outside our regular office hours, you’ll be part of the team and make a critical contribution to the site’s success. As such, you’ll participate in our virtual office through Slack, reporting to the News Editor and Editor. You’ll receive regular feedback to help you improve and plenty of support to get you up to speed.
All eligible candidates are encouraged to apply, though we’re particularly eager to hear from writers from BIPOC, LGBTQ, and other underrepresented backgrounds.
Role: Evening News Writer, PCGamesN
Location: Wherever your PC may be
Rate: £25,000 per year
Application deadline: May 6, 2022, though we reserve the right to close this vacancy early if sufficient applications have been received
- Writing day-to-day news about PC games new and old
- Identifying opportunities for further coverage of, or alternate angles on, trending stories
- Keeping abreast of industry trends and talking points
- Spotting, pursuing, and researching opportunities for original news investigations
- Seeking comment from developers, publishers, and PRs
- Occasional event coverage and attendance
- You will have occasional opportunities to write outside of news, including reviews and other features
- CMS work, transcription, and other odd jobs as requested by the News Editor, Deputy Editor, or Editor
Required skills and experience:
- The ability to write brilliantly, swiftly, and to task across a range of disciplines, with a focus on news
- The ability to find the most interesting angle on any given news story and distil it into an arresting headline
- The ability to find relevant and timely news stories as they break across the internet (and beyond)
- The ability to write at least five news stories per shift unless otherwise agreed
- A keen interest in PC videogames and a good knowledge of them
- Proficiency with Google Suite
- Proactivity, attention to detail, and excellent organisational skills
Desirable skills and experience:
- Prior experience writing news or features regularly, preferably online
- CMS experience (ideally with WordPress)
- Previous work at major magazines or websites, particularly covering news
To apply, please send a covering letter with details of your experience and why you’d make a great addition to the PCGN team, as well as at least one sample news story, to [email protected], using the subject line: ‘Evening news writer application’. We look forward to hearing from you!