Network N is looking for a staff writer to join its flagship website, PCGamesN. You’ll work full-time alongside a talented, friendly team at our office in Bath, UK. This position is entry level, and is not available remotely.
With exceptional talent for writing and genuine enthusiasm for every aspect of game journalism, you will work across all of our major editorial departments: news, features, guides, hardware, and video. You’ll be equally capable of spotting the juiciest angle in a news story and writing it up within the hour, writing an informed opinion piece about the latest industry trends, conducting interviews and representing PCGamesN on press trips, writing clear guides to help fellow gamers get the best out of the latest triple-A releases, and cutting to the heart of what makes a game distinct in previews and reviews.
You’ll have years of experience playing PC games, be passionate about videogames and the videogame industry, and have plenty to say about all of it. You’ll be comfortable working in a fast-paced and unpredictable office environment, and you’ll be a quick learner, eager to apply feedback from editors to help you grow as a writer. You’ll also be willing to work occasional exceptional hours to cover major events, such as E3. PCGamesN is growing rapidly and this is a chance to join some of the best content producers in the business.
Location: Bath, UK.
Application deadline: August 9, 2019.
- News, feature, review, and sponsored article writing
- Finding news stories
- Spotting and pursuing angles for features, op-eds, and investigations
- Talking to developers, publishers, and PRs for comment
- Building and maintaining industry relationships
- Representing PCGamesN at events
- Willingness to travel internationally as part of the above
- YouTube scripting, gameplay capture
- CMS work, transcription, and lots of other fun things
Required skills and experience:
- The ability to write brilliantly, quickly, and to task across a range of disciplines
- A keen interest in PC videogames and excellent knowledge of them
- An ability to think creatively about issues affecting the industry
- Experience writing news or features regularly, preferably online
- Proficiency with gdocs, email, and other work tools
- Proactivity, attention to detail, eagerness to learn, and excellent organisation
- If you don’t have a Steam account, you should probably forget it
Desirable skills and experience:
- Knowledge of and interest in the biggest triple-A games on PC
- Involvement in related communities, e.g. on Reddit
- Knowledge of PC hardware
- Experience writing video scripts
- Previous work at major magazines or websites
- CMS experience
- Understanding of SEO best practices
Sound like you? Then get in touch as soon as you can. We’re also hiring for a full-time guides writer.
To apply please send your CV, covering letter, and writing samples to [email protected], using the subject line: ‘Staff Writer application‘. We look forward to hearing from you.