Minecraft patch 1.16.2 is ready to launch. It’s a relatively minor addition following the Nether Update, but it does add some notable new features, including piglin brutes and experimental support for custom biomes. The update is now live in Java Edition, and will hit all the variants of Bedrock soon.
Piglin Brutes are a new mob that spawn in Bastion Remnants in the Nether. Unlike their standard Piglin counterparts, they’ll attack you on sight, whether or not you’re wearing gold armour – but they’ll never respawn once defeated.
Custom biomes will let you define the rules of a new biome type for your custom worlds. You can define the rules for terrain generation, what structures and mobs spawn there, the colour of the sky and water, the ambient sound effects, the style of precipitation, and plenty more. It’s an extensive customisation feature that goes well beyond the official patch notes – Mojang’s Mikael ‘slicedlime’ Hedberg is running a custom world tutorial series on his YouTube channel, so you can get further details there.
Minecraft patch 1.16.2 notes
- Two new accessibility settings have been added to help with visual comfort
- Distortion effects such as nausea and the Nether portal overlay can now be reduced
- At lower values, the nausea effect is replaced with a green overlay as an alternative visualization
- Field of view effects, shown after speed modifiers are applied, can now be reduced
- Chat delay has been added to the Chat Settings screen
- Pressing F3+D now clears the pending chat messages
- Tweaked the Bastion Remnant chest loot
- Chests in Bastion Remnants are now more likely to be positioned on top of gilded blackstone
- Brewing stands can now be crafted with blackstone
- Lanterns and Soul Lanterns can now be waterlogged
- Crimson and warped fungus can now be placed on mycelium
- Chains can now be placed in all orientations
- Tools are now sorted based on material in the creative inventory
- Totems of undying now give the fire resistance status affect for 40 seconds when activated
- Endermen will no longer place their held block onto bedrock blocks
- Zoglins can now be leashed
- When a Zombified Piglin is spawned riding a Strider, it will now be holdinga Warped Fungi on a Stick
- Removed Herobrine
- Added Piglin Brutes!
- Piglins now become angry with players who open or destroy a Chest Minecart
- Tweaked bartering loot
- Piglin Brutes are stronger versions of Piglins that live in bastions and protect the treasures there
- Unlike the their cowardly and greedy counterparts, the Piglin Brutes cannot be distracted by gold and aren’t afraid of anything
- Piglin Brutes attack players on sight, no matter how the player is dressed
- Piglin Brutes wield axes and don’t need any armor, because they’re just that tough
Respawn Block Positions
- Modified how respawn positions are chosen for beds and respawn anchors
- Respawn anchors will prioritize cardinal directions over corners
- Beds will prioritize the side of the bed the player entered from and then spaces circling around the foot of the bed up to the head of the bed
- Respawning players will now face the block that they respawned at
- Placing players onto dangerous blocks is now avoided when possible
- Villagers now emit green particles when joining a village, setting a home bed, or acquiring a job site / profession
- Villagers now lose their job sites when changing dimension
Technical Changes in 1.16.2
- Custom worlds now support custom biomes
- Sign edit screen will now intialize from existing sign text (should have no noticeable impact on vanilla)
- Small improvements to data and resource pack selection screens
Tags can now have optional entries
You can get a more nitty-gritty breakdown of everything in Hedberg’s overview video below.
Minecraft combat snapshot 6 recently hit testing, and you can check out our guides to Minecraft maps and Minecraft skins if you’re looking for yet more content on the impossibly-popular block-builder.