Last week Mojang decreed that carpet would catch fire, bringing to an abrupt end the rug’s halcyon period as a fire-retardant material somewhere between stone and obsidian. The least they could do was provide a decent countermeasure in short order – and so here we are, a couple of days before the usual Snapshot Day, to celebrate the new viability of safety cauldrons.
Cauldrons filled with water can now be used to put out “burning entities”, as Mojang ominously call them. Doing so will deplete some of the water, but it’s now possible to keep something more substantial than a bucket on-hand for emergencies. It’s the kind of provision that might have prevented this:
If you’ve any to spare, you might want to splash some of that life-giving liquid on the two new wooden log and leaf sapling types added in this update. Both can be planted in flower pots and contribute to your hard-wrought domestic bliss.
Not so the new roofed oak trees, which need to be planted in a 2×2 grid. Along with the Acadia, they’re a new way to produce the materials for oak wood planks – though the Acadia’s wood comes in a darker, reddish jungle hue that might not match your porch.
Elsewhere, a flurry of bugs have been tackled – sign-writing in particular is no longer an art fraught with fears of server crashes. Here’s the rest of the changelog:
- Added /setworldspawn and /setworldspawn
to set the world’s default spawn point
- Maps in item frames now display the item frame again, but still on a full block scale
- Jukeboxes now loop
- Changed the texture for pufferfish
- Fixed being unable to type certain characters in chat under certain conditions
- Fixed cauldron water not putting out fire or damage blazes
- Axes accelerate the speed at which Slabs are broken
- when typing /help with a number higher than 4, it produces the wrong message
- Boats cannot be steered by using the “left” and “right” keys
- Minecraft has advice on an error report that should be deleted.
- Players appear offset for other clients after going through nether portals
- Spawn eggs can be used on top of water, but not lava
- Typo on “Unable to Load Worlds” screen
- Sound warnings in console
- Master sound level resets on reboot and RP Change
- Numbers render behind enchanted stacked enchanted items
- Splash potions making throw sound but not breaking sound.
- OS X: Pressing Del / Backspace on signs shows “DEL” character instead of deleting characters
- Multiple Background Songs Playing At One Time / Automatic music overlap
- German Umlauts and ß are not correctly centered at sign
- Partially Transparent Maps
- Typing ƒ, ∞ œ, π, Ω, ≈, √, ≤, ≥ and many more symbols on a sign or in the chat crashes the game.
- “Format Error” In the Book and Quill
- Cake FallingSand Entity not landing correctly regenerates chunk
- “Force Unicode Font” is displayed in currently active language, whereas “Done” is displayed in highlighted language
- “Format error” in language selection menu
- RCON Messages: TranslatableComponent
The snapshot installation process remains the same: open your Minecraft launcher, prod the ‘New Profile’ button, type “snapshots” into the box, and then tick ‘Enable experimental development snapshots’. You can find the server files you need on Mojang’s site, and return to well-tested Minecraft whenever you like simply by selecting it in dropdown menu in the bottom left corner of the launcher.
Everybody has their own priorities in Minecraft. What’s the big news here for you? The cauldrons, or the correctly-centered umlauts?