Choosing your Outriders class is one of the first decisions you’ll need to make after you complete the prologue. In People Can Fly’s new sci-fi shooter they’re called Outriders paths, and present you with an ability set that you’ll be using for the rest of the game. Best pick wisely, then.
Each of the Outriders paths fulfil a different archetype. The Trickster is well-versed in teleportation and assassination, while the Pyromancer is a fire loving mage that, well, sets things ablaze. As we explain in our Outriders gameplay impressions, each of them come with a set of abilities that synergise with each other quite nicely. Each class also works well together, during our gameplay session we found inflicting stasis as a Trickster sets up a Pyromancer to use their fire strike. So each path should suit you if you want to play alone, or with a group of friends.
In this Outriders classes guide we’ll go over their abilities, unique healing traits, and advise you which is the best Outriders class. Now that’s out of the way, read on to find out more about Outriders paths and the what we think the best Outriders path is.
The Outriders classes are:
- Feed the Flames – Select and pull an enemy towards you, dealing damage while draining a certain amount of health and inflicting Ash
- Overheat – Deal a small amount of damage and inflict Interrupt to all enemies in a large radius
- Volcanic Rounds – Replace your weapon’s magazine with Anomaly-infused bullets that can pierce targets and inflict Burn within a small radius. This skill lasts until you switch weapons or reload your current weapon
- F.A.S.E.R Beam – Fire an energy beam that deals damage and inflicts Burn and Interrupt
- Thermal Bomb – inflict burn and knockback on an enemy, killing them causes them to explode
- Ash Blast – An area of effect attack that inflicts Ash on anyone caught in it
- Heatwave – Launch a fire strike that incinerates anyone in front of you
- Healing – Recover health when foes marked by your skills are killed
This fiery Outriders path is built to excel at medium ranges. The Pyromancer’s skills involve setting foes ablaze and rendering them immobile, which is handy as killing enemies that you’ve marked restores your health.
- Temporal Blade – Attack an enemy and inflict slow upon them
- Slow Trap – An area of effect attack that inflicts slow on enemies and projectiles
- Hunt the Prey – Teleport behind a chosen foe and get a shield bonus
- Twisted Rounds – Replace your weapon’s magazine with Anomaly-infused bullets that increases your fire power. This skill lasts until you switch weapons or reload your current weapon
- Cyclone Slice – Create a whirlwind of Anomaly blades that deal damage and Interrupt onto enemies within a small radius
- Borrowed Time – Receive a shield and mark your location for 28 seconds. Activating this skill for a second time will bend spacetime and teleport you back to the marked spot
- Venator’s Knife – Throw a temporal knife at an enemy, marking the target with Slow and for ten seconds the first damage dealt to the enemy will be doubled. The knife will ricochet between a maximum of five enemies within a small radius, marking any damaged enemies
- Time Rift – Create a shockwave that suspends enemies in the air and inflicts Weakness, leaving them unable to fight for three and half seconds
For those who enjoy the assassin-role, or who main Wraith in Apex Legends. The Trickster is all about teleporting behind bandits and doing rapid burst damage. Killing enemies close to you restores your health – comes in handy.
- Earthquake – Unleashes a shockwave that damages enemies and knocks them back
- Golem – Fortify yourself from incoming damage
- Gravity Jump – Leap into the air and pick a foe to pounce upon. Anyone close by gets hit with knockback
- Reflect Bullets – Create a barrier that captures all enemy projectiles and accumulates damage. The accumulated damage will be reflected back to enemies after the skill has been activate for ten seconds
- Impale – Knock an enemy back to deal damage. If the damage is lethal, the enemy will be impaled, granting armour and health regeneration buffs to nearby players for nine seconds
- Tremor – A series of explosions that deal damage and drain enemy health
- Boulderdash – Interrupt and deal damage to all enemies in a path, dealing one final blow by smashing the ground at the end of the sequence
- Endless Mass – Suffocate a target in stone, inflicting Bleed and pulling in other enemies towards the target. The target in stone will explode, dealing damage to the surrounding enemies
The tank of the bunch, this one excels at taking damage and keeping themselves, or their teams, alive. You’ll unlock a fortify skill early on that encases yourself in rock armour, which demonstrates this nicely.
- Scrapnel – Throw a proximity mine that deals damage and interrupts the skills of enemies caught in the blast
- Cryo Turret – Place an automated turret that deals damage and inflicts Freeze onto enemies. The turret’s health slowly depletes over time
- Blighted Rounds – Replace your weapon’s magazine with Decay-infused bullets that inflicts Toxic onto enemies. Enemies within a small radius also receive Toxic and 50% of damage. This skill lasts until you switch weapons or reload your current weapon
- Fixing Wave – Restore health to turrets and allies
- Pain Launcher – Creates a missile launcher that damages enemies
- Tool of Destruction – Rotate between a minigun and a rocket launcher
- Cold Snap – Inflicts freeze on enemies
- Blighted Turret – Fills equipped weapon with decay infused bullets
A long-range support class ideal for solo players or healers, specialising in decay and elemental damage, as well as machinery and healing for devices and other players.
Outriders best class
The best Outriders class is the Trickster. This path’s first three abilities synergise together wonderfully, allowing you to hop in and inflict stasis on everyone. You can either follow up with some shotgun skills, or allow your team to do your dirty work. This Outriders path is also bloomin’ cool.