We can sit here until Half-Life 3 is released talking about why PC gaming is great, but one of its winning qualities is almost certainly long-term support. Games that have long been forgotten in the mainstream are still being tweaked and perfected by developers in service of these games’ still notable communities.
Valve is, naturally, at the forefront of this kind of activity. This week it has patched the Source Engine to provide tweaks to games like Counter-Strike: Source, a game that first game out when dinosaurs still ruled the earth.
Changes made to the Source Engine will affect Counter-Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Team Fortress 2, and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch. Such changes are:
- Fixed the skybox on 3rd party maps when using certain sky materials
- In Hammer, while using the Vertex Tool, pressing CTRL+B will snap selected vertices to the grid
- Allow about:blank in the MOTD
- Marked mat_texture_list as a cheat to prevent client exploits
- Removed the sv_voicecodec convar because it isn’t necessary anymore and was being used as an exploit
- Updated the con_logfile convar to checking for invalid filenames
- Updated the network resource download path to check for invalid filenames
- Updated the plugin_load command
- Servers can only load plugins if they are not running a map
- Clients can only load plugins if they are not connected to a server
Team Fortress also gets its own set of special updates too, which are:
- Fixed a bug that would cause the Sentry’s health to look overhealed when it wasn’t
- Fixed an exploit with the Red-Tape Recorder and Sentry where the Sentry could build up a large amount of health
- Fixed a bug where the Spy could not place a sapper without switching weapons first
- Fixed the Engineer being able to purchase the Disposable Sentry Gun upgrade in Mann vs. Machine, build a disposable Sentry, and then refund the upgrade without the Sentry being destroyed
- Improved client-side critical attack prediction for rapid-fire weapons (i.e. Flamethrower, Minigun)
- Updated the equip_region for the Pyromancer's Mask
- Fixed the equip_region for tournament medals conflicting with other items
- Added the LBTF2 Season 9 tournament medals
- Updated the localization files
Changes are now in effect, so the next time you load one of these games you’ll find that things are just a little bit better these days.