Sometimes it's just nice to chill on a sofa and play a game with a pad, right? While strategy games certainly lend themselves to mouse and keyboard inputs, XCOM 2's turn-based battles can easily be approached at leisure with a controller. It's a good job XCOM 2 now lets you do just that, then.
Some of our list of the best strategy games are probably not better with a controller, however.
Since XCOM 2 has been out on console a little while already, we had been wondering if controller support was going to be patched in, especially since the last XCOM, a multi-platform release, supported pads for PC players.
The latest update brings just that: plug and play compatibility for Xbox One and Xbox 360 controllers, but you'll need to do a bit of tinkering to get a DualShock working in-game, unfortunately.
Along with controller support, Firaxis have added a way to fully unlock the game's camera, so you can swoop down to eye-level or explore the Avenger in a first-person tour. Here's a video explaining how:
Here are the full patch notes:
- Adds traditional (non-Steam Controller) controller support to the PC
- Fix config/upk file issues that prevent full conversion mods from being possible on the Steam Workshop and also allow mods to have Bink files.
- In Alien Hunters, the "Ruler Reaction" notification will stay on the screen after a unit fires at the Archon King while he is using Icarus Drop during combat.
- SPARKS cannot be healed by Medikits
- Additional minor bug fixes
Looking for more games to play with a controller? Miller's got your back: