The difficulty with reporting on Battlefield 4 patches is not knowing how deeply into the cave DICE have delved. Sure, they’ve emerged clutching the head of a bug, bathed in blood and glory - but does that head belong to the King Glitch, or merely a worker whose death will rile up the rest?
For some, these fixes will be a turning point for their relationship with Battlefield 4; for many others, just an impediment along the road to DICE dealing with the ‘real issues’. What we can do is let you know what’s changed.
A number of smaller fixes have improved general stability in-game - bar the obvious play-disrupting exceptions of falling skyscrapers and such. Crashes during long sessions should be rarer, thanks to a fixed memory leak issue. And for Asian Windows 8.1 users, the most important fix of all - one that allows startup where previously it was denied.
Since release, some of Battlefield 4’s more embarassing bugs have been sound-related. Today sees the end of a couple of those - a ‘sound loop deadlock’ which occurred when running High or Ultra graphics settings, and occasional engine sound dropouts when driving wheeled IFVs.
Beyond that, DICE have turned their attention to the air where vehicles are concerned. Stealth jets in all their varieties are now more similar to each other in their handling attributes. The F35 and J-20 are slightly more agile, and the Su-50 slightly less - meaning if you can steer one, you probably steer them all.
The same is also true of the attack jets - all of three of which are now a little less agile than before.
Here’s the rest of DICE’s fix list. Have you noticed the patch rate increase since the dev team downed tools on expansions?
- Added a warning for using Legacy AMD drivers that were out of date
- Fixed a player feedback timing issue where blood was appearing before other damage indicators, and before damage was actually done
- Fixed a bug where players’ rank icons on the scoreboard would not be updated
- Normalized repair rates across all vehicles. Vehicles with lower health points, like aircraft and transport vehicles, now repair more slowly than before
- Fixed problem with killer health in kill card not being correctly updated (showing 100% health even though the soldier was hurt)
- Fix for friendly marker not always showing when needed to, resulting in players shooting team members
- Fixed a bug where a M1 Abrams Coaxial HMG ammo box was occasionally blocking the driver’s camera
- Increased damage by 25% for the Stealth Jet 20mm cannons.
- Fixed camera glitch when switching weapons while moving in crouch
- Fix for player spawning under the map when deploying on Lancang Dam
- Fixed flickering in map and minimap on Rogue Transmission and Operation Locker