The latest patch for Final Fantasy XIV has rolled out. Numbered 3.5 and titled The Far Edge of Fate, it adds a bunch of new content and gameplay features. These include new dungeons, quests, quality of life changes and a new raid.
Endless hours of epically social adventuring await in our list of the best MMORPGs on PC.
Here’s what’s new and now available to play:
- Main scenario quests: with the Warriors of Darkness vanquished, the Scions of the Seventh Dawn move on to new challenges.
- New alliance raid: the hunt for Diablos continues in Dun Scaith, the latest 24-man raid. Players will venture to this island created by Mhachi sorcerers, now transformed into a haven for voidsent, hoping to vanquish this powerful foe.
- Containment Bay Z1T9: players will confront Zurvan, the final pillar of the Warring Triad, in both normal and extreme difficulties.
- Two new high-level dungeons: players can scale Baelsar’s Wall, which separates Garlean-controlled Ala Mhigo from the rest of Eorzea, and revisit the sacred grounds of the dragons in Sohm Al (Hard), now in disarray following Nidhogg’s defeat.
- New side quests: Hildibrand returns, clashing with the Grand Sers in an attempt to rescue the young Gigi, and new mysteries confront the students of Saint Endalim’s Scholasticate.
- Garo collaboration and PvP updates: new PvP gear and mounts, modeled after character designs from Japanese TV series Garo, make their debut. Changes to PvP gameplay will allow players to duel opponents with synced item levels, and participate in the massive frontline battles without being restricted to their Grand Company’s allegiance.
- Party finder updates: players can now join adventurers from other worlds using the expanded Party Finder. The system will also allow you to create parties which your friends can join using a password.
- Developers/publishers Square Enix also say players will enjoy updates to housing, such as new exteriors, paintings, and additions to the aquarium, so go show your fish some love. No, not like that.
Phew. Comprehensive as all that is, you can get even more detail on exactly what’s coming in the Far Edge of Fate with the patch notes here.
The next FFXIV expansion,Stormblood, is coming in June, yet Square Enix promise further free updates in the meanwhile. Patch 3.5 will have a ‘part two’ (so, a patch 3.55? Who even knows anymore), which is scheduled for March. This will conclude the main story of Heavensward, and then it’s on to Stormblood, which will begin a whole new narrative arc.