Application deadline: August 21, 2017.
PCGamesN are looking for news writers for weekend and evening (UTC) shifts. The ideal candidate has experience of writing news and can work from wherever their PC is. Initially this would be in a regular freelance capacity, potentially moving to a medium-term contract later on.
We are looking for one writer to cover the weekend shift, which is from 10am to 6pm BST/GMT Saturday and Sunday. This would be perfect for a newer writer with a little experience looking for their first regular gig, and the hours could be somewhat flexible for the right candidate.
Our other opening is for an evening writer, working from 4pm to Midnight BST/GMT, Monday through Friday. This would be ideal for an experienced candidate based on the west coast of America, but we are taking applications globally for both positions.
With a talent for writing, you’ll be able to find the story in everything from a press release, to a live stream, to a Reddit comment thread. You will understand and be able to write interesting copy about the latest triple-A games, long-standing favourites, niche PC gems, indie games and the business dealings, communities and esports programs behind it all.
Reporting to the News Editor and Deputy Editor, you’ll receive regular feedback to help you improve, and plenty of support to get you up to speed.
- Writing day-to-day news about games new and old
- Researching angles and avenues for the above
- Talking to developers, publishers and PRs for comment
- On occasion, writing larger articles about specific topics
- CMS work, transcription and other odd-jobs as required
Required skills and experience
- The ability to write brilliantly, quickly and to task across a range of disciplines
- A keen interest in videogames and a good knowledge of them
- Experience writing news or features regularly, preferably online
- Proficiency with gdocs, email, other work tools
- Proactivity, attention to detail and excellent organisation
- CMS experience
- A Steam account
Desirable skills and experience
- Knowledge of and interest in MOBAs, particularly League of Legends and Dota 2
- Knowledge of and interest in esports, particularly CS:GO and the above
- Previous work at major magazines or websites, particularly covering news
To apply please send links to writing samples of news stories, details of your experience and which position(s) you would like to apply for to [email protected] Both positions are available immediately, and will be filled as soon as we find the correct candidates.