The Black Mesa facility was always meant to have a fancy shade of red to its corridors, unfortunately budget cuts left them without the funds to paint the walls, leaving most of them a neutral concrete grey. Thankfully the Brutal Half-Life mod rights that wrong, letting you paint the facility red with the blood of your enemies.
Well, and bits of green and mucus yellow.
The mod’s similar to the Brutal Doom mod, it updates Valve’s shooter to make your enemies pop like balloons filled with blood and organ matter. See it in action in the trailer:
The mod does a lot more than up the blood effects. You can now dismember enemies’ limbs, use a new kick attack, the AI’s been improved, and loads of the effects and sounds have been improved, too.
They’ve even added Doom’s BFG.
Here’s the full list of alterations:
– Enemies dismemberment
– Custom gibs
– Kick attack added to push enemies away
– New weapons sound effects
– Duke 3d style ‘_zoo’ map included to show the features
– New secondary attack for crowbar and glock
– Corpses can be mutilated
– 2 new weapons: m249 from Opposing Force and BFG tribute easter egg
– Some DOOM tributes on the gameplay
– Weapons, monsters and props can be covered with blood
– New blood sprites and decals
– Little improved AI
– New death animations
– Enemies can be burned (only skin in beta)
– New damage skills
– Changes in some weapon ammo capacity
– Enhanced effects, like explosions, smoke, light effects, etc
You can download the Brutal Half-Life mod over on ModDB.