Having found fame and fortune through Steam and site sales, Frozen Synapse will soon be available to be picked up from brick and mortar stores, possibly near you.
Details personally cut and pasted from a press release below.
For those of you unfamiliar with Mode 7's brain-scratcher, Frozen Synapse is essentially the chess version of Counter-Strike. You and a chum command opposing squads of little glowy-lined men whose only aim in life was to kill the other team's glowy-lined men. You each plan out a short turn's-worth of moves and submit your commands to the server. When both are received it sends back the results. Paranoia creeps in as soon as you hit that submit button: "Will he send his man into the room I've thrown my grenade?", "Have they left that side of the building clear?", "Are they reading this post right now?"
Of course, with such success online we had to find out why Frozen Synapse even needed a boxed release. Mode 7's Paul Taylor explained to us: "Boxes for games lend them a certain unavoidable gravitas. Also they smell like the inside of a lovely plastic thing." Truer words have rarely appeared on this site.
Convinced? Of course you are. This listing of pointed-bullets is just to fill some of the time between hitting the order button and it arriving at your door (don't you miss that wait which digital sales removed?). Included in the box, which looks like this, is:
- A FREE full copy of the game, including the Red add-on DLC, for a friend with every purchase
- 5 challenging multiplayer modes, including the innovative bidding-based “Secure” and “Hostage Rescue”
- 55-mission single player campaign with dynamic dialogue and thrilling near-future narrative
- Powerful Skirmish Generator
- Facebook, Twitter and YouTube integration
- 15 Steam Achievements
- Integrated IRC chat as well as various community features
- Random generation combined with hand-crafted content means that levels and maps are different every time
- Critically-acclaimed electronica soundtrack by musician nervous_testpilot
And, in the RED DLC pack you get:
- Full co-op for the single player campaign and all new single player content
- A new unit (riot shield)
- A new multiplayer game mode (“Upload”)
- 15 mission single player campaign
- 10 single player challenge missions
- Three mutators (gameplay modifiers for advanced users)
- 6 additional music tracks by nervous_testpilot (2 previously available in the Humble Indie Bundle)
- MP3 and FLAC download of all Frozen Synapse: Red music
- Original music tracks “Deeper” and “Focus” unlocked during gameplay
- “Impeccable Micro” – a chiptune album from _ensnare_ (MP3 and FLAC)
- The infamous “Red Mode”…
Let's end on a song: