When you close your eyes, can you hear the sound of a thousand players typing, urgently searching for answers? Lost in the depths of a dungeon, aggrieved with their underwhelming loadout, unable to get multiplayer to work – they’re calling out for help, and we’re looking for a guides editor to lead the rescue party.
This is a full-time position, based either locally in Bath (where you’ll attend our fancy newly refurbished office at least two days a week) or remotely within the UK, with occasional office trips covered. You’ll be managing the PCGamesN guides team, looking after the deputy guides editor and a team of guides writers, and you’ll be in charge of developing and executing our guides strategy, maintaining the health of our existing fleet of guides, and writing, editing, and updating them, too.
You should have a strong understanding of SEO and an eye for the ever-changing search landscape, and you’ll need a broad spectrum of knowledge about the biggest games of the moment, with an ear to the ground in order to identify the most promising leads from communities and gameplay.
We’re looking for an experienced guides expert with strong organisational skills, a keen eye for detail, and a love of research, along with a flexible and creative mindset, sharp writing chops, and a passion for games of all kinds.
All eligible candidates are encouraged to apply, though we’re particularly eager to hear from writers from BIPOC, LGBTQ, and other underrepresented backgrounds.
Role: Guides Editor, PCGamesN
Type: Full-time, permanent
Location: Fully remote (within UK only)/Hybrid (minimum expectation of 2 days per week in Bath head office)
Closing date: Sunday 24th April 2022 (we reserve the right to close this advert early if sufficient number of applications have been received)
You will run the Guides department within PCGamesN, managing the Deputy Guides Editor and a team of multiple Guide Writers. You will identify, plan, and produce evergreen and guide content for target games, keeping a close watch on their rankings, updating them as necessary for in-game events and new content, and maintaining industry-leading SEO standards across an expanding portfolio of search-oriented features.
- Managing the guides team, ensuring all members are performing their roles as best as possible and remain happy and motivated
- Maintaining and improving awareness of SEO best practices and applying these to the team’s work in order to grow our traffic from search
- Writing and updating guides
- Tracking the performance of our guides and organising their updates as needed
- Keeping abreast of current news and trends in online publishing, particularly SEO
- Using monitoring and reporting tools (e.g. Google Trends, SE Ranking) to identify potential wins, as well as mitigate against ranking losses
- Monitoring in-game challenges, patch updates, and any other opportunities for regular guide content
- Using Google, and Reddit and other gaming communities, to identify and suggest enquiries which could lead to new guides and other article types
- Occasionally attending press trips, writing previews and reviews, and pitching op-ed ideas to the Deputy Editor and Editor
- Keeping our in-house reporting and workflow tools (e.g. Asana, Google Calendar) organised and up to date
- Other tasks as requested by the Deputy Editor, Editor, or Publishing Director
You will have/be:
- Practical and theoretical understanding of search engine optimisation and best practices in publishing search-targeted content
- Experience of planning and writing guides and evergreen content for videogames
- Substantial experience working for established online gaming brands above entry level
- Demonstrable experience leading a team, and excellent staff management skills
- High editorial standards, excellent organisational skills, and a keen eye for detail
- Some established contacts among publishers, developers, and PRs in the game industry would be an advantage
- Able to produce proof of right to work in the UK by the start of employment
How to apply
If it sounds like you are the right fit, please apply using this link with a covering letter and CV.
WORKING FOR NETWORK N
We’re a fun and friendly company offering an informal working environment with offices in central Bath. We are always growing, work fast but accurately, have an international reach and are nerdy as hell! We are committed to being an inclusive workplace and have various groups and events to hear underrepresented voices including Women @ Network N, Diversity, and Pride @ Network N.
Our people make our success, so it is only fair we give plenty in return, including:
- 28 days holiday
- Your birthday off
- Private medical plan through Vitality with enhanced mental health provision
- Auto-enrolment pension
- Profit share scheme for all
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounted Gift Card scheme
- Employee social events, including Christmas and summer parties