Activision-owned eSports broadcaster Major League Gaming has announced its latest event. MLG Vegas will take place on December 16-18, and will feature:
- The Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare in the first North American Regional match of the Call of Duty World League (CWL)
- An Overwatch Invitational tournament
- End Game - a special event celebrating digital culture
Don't know your Torbjörn from your Roadhog? See our guide to the best Overwatch characters.
Both the CoD and Overwatch tournaments have $100,000 prizes. The Overwatch tournament is a simple invitational, with eight top teams duking it out for the crown. The Call of Duty event is the first in CWL 2017, and will feature twelve North American teams competing in pool play. A further 96 teams will also compete in a "double elimination open bracket" for a spot on Championship Sunday, where they can also contest the $100,000 prize pool. MLG promises more information soon about the forthcoming CWL season.
And then there is End Game, an ambitious celebration of eSports and digital culture featuring interactive experiences and surprise musical performances.
"End Game is going to be the biggest celebration of eSports culture in MLG's history," says Sundance DiGiovanni, VP of Brands and Content for MLG. "Video games are a dominant force in pop culture and have as much mindshare with this audience as music, art, or movies. When we looked at other festivals, we saw a huge hole in their programming... to put it simply, if you're neglecting eSports at your events, you are missing out on a huge passion point for a highly-engaged and creative audience."
Tickets for MLG Vegas are now on sale here, and come in three flavours:
- General Admission tickets are going for $49.99 US and will get you in to see the event of your choice
- VIP Admission tickets will set you back $149.99 US, and will get you VIP seating, early access and check-in privileges, and a hoodie
- A team pass will cost $299.99 and entitle you to compete in the CoD North American Regional
Naturally, you'll need to get yourself to Las Vegas, where the event is being held in the Mandalay Bay resort. For those of us without the readies to do this, the event will also be streamed in HD on MLG TV.