Capcom have released an opt-in public beta for Ultra Street Fighter IV in an effort to collaboratively squad some horrible netcode issues. Players can download and test the fixes on Steam today.
The game has been afflicted with lag and stutter while playing in ranked online games since the most recent iteration launched earlier this month.
Capcom representative WBACON posted the news on the games Steam forum:
“Thanks for your patience and support – without further ado, we are now ready to roll out the beta patch. Please give it a spin and post your experiences here, both good and bad.” announced WBACON. “Our main goal here is to collect feedback from participants in order to verify whether the targeted fix addresses the network issue that many of you have reported thus far.”
If you want to give the beta a whirl yourself, just follow these steps:
- From your Steam ‘LIBRARY’ list, right-click on Ultra Street Fighter IV and select ‘Properties’
- Select the ‘BETAS’ tab.
- Type USFIVBetaBranch (case-sensitive) in the ‘Enter beta access code’ field and then click CHECK CODE.
- Now, select “beta – patch beta” from the pull-down menu and click CLOSE.
- Wait for the Steam client to finish downloading the 2.9MB patch
- Launch Ultra Street Fighter IV.
The current change log already contains a slew of bug fixes too:
- Fixed an issue where data is sent to other lobbies even after a user has already entered a lobby / match
- Fixed an issue where data is continuously sent to other lobbies even after cancelling a custom lobby search
- Set a limit on the number of lobbies joinable at one time by player with fight request turned ON
- Fixed an issue where custom searches with region set to [ANY] was ignoring [SAME] region matches. Changed logic to search for [SAME] region matches first when [ANY] is selected.
However, recent feedback has been mixed. While some players are enjoying a lag free game, others are still having problems, sometimes new. Players are being encouraged to post any feedback following the guidelines at the bottom of this thread.
Do remember though: if you opt-in to the beta, you will not be able to play with those who haven’t.