Tribes Ascend is one of the best shooters around right now: high-speed and highly competitive. Devs Hi-Rez seem committed to pushing it as an eSport – over the weeked they released two new maps (including the classic Stonehenge), tweaks to the spectator mode, and multiple balance tweaks.
So here’s the question: are you still playing Tribes? What do you think of it, some months on?
Here are the full patch notes.
• A new TDM map has been added to the list of maps in the Quick Play rotation. (Miasma)
• A new CTF map has been added to the list of maps available to play on Custom Servers. Stonehenge is a remap of a classic Tribes map. The map is currently in a “beta” state and will be added to the Quick Play rotation after it goes through testing on Custom Servers.Weapon/Balance Items
• The Pathfinder’s Light Assault Rifle will now fire bursts from just holding down the fire button, rather than having to repress the fire button for each burst.
• Increased Rage Perk activation radius by 50%.
• Decreased effect radius of Raider’s Whiteout grenade by roughly 8%.
• Decreased damage on Shrike Rockets by 22%.
• Increased Shrike Rocket damage to armored targets (ex. base turrets, beowulfs) by 30%.
• Decreased damage on Technician’s Rockwind SMG by roughly 8%
• Slightly increased the distance from the reticule required for the Spotted command to work.
• Increased the distance Raider’s EMP grenades can be thrown to match most other grenades.
• Decreased explosion radius on Pathfinder’s Compact Nitrons by 13%.
• The Phase Rifle’s downscope reticule has been tweaked and crosshairs added.
• Raindance: A new route has been added into the generator room.Additional Items
• With the help of community feedback, we have reworked some of the mechanics of the emergent gameplay of “rock-bouncing.” The mechanic is more lenient than the last major patch:
◦ Bouncing off a rock at an extreme angle is possible again, but the player will lose some of their speed.
◦ The “grace angle” for a bounce that loses no speed has been widened
◦ We will continue to adjust this feature as needed.
• FIxed an issue where some Accolades were not being awarded with some of the new variant weapons.
• Fixed an issue where the Determination Perk was not applying its health boost correctly.
• Fixed a situation where XP was not being given if the player had left the match early.
• Fixed an issue where a player could zoom and fire with weapons that don’t allow zooming while firing by holding down zoom through a reload sequence.
• Fixed bug where the Raider’s NJ5 Reload and Retrieve sounds were not playing.
• Fixed bug where the Infiltrator’s Remote Arx Buster Reload and Retrieve sounds were not playing.
• Tartarus High intensity music added.
• Fixed an issue where the Rage Perk would sometimes not apply when it should have.
• Fixed an issue where Technician’s Long Range Repair tool was repairing vehicles too quickly.
• Fixed an issue where rapid projectile fire wasn’t replicating to a spectator viewing the player who was firing.
• Fixed an issue on Deal of the Day that was incorrectly showing an XP tag.
• Fixed an issue with the Twitch streams that was causing not all of the active players to be shown.