Putting aside for one moment just how loose and fast the Golden Joystick Awards are playing with the definition of an MMO this year, the Best MMO category is a hard fought battle between EVE, Tera, Lord of the Rings, Rift, Runescape, The Old Republic, The Secret World, World of Tanks and League of Legends. Being a player-voted awards ceremony, however, some communities are being rallied to vote for their chosen vice, namely Riot and Wargaming, who both promise their players some juicy bonuses should their respective “MMO” bring home the golden ‘stick. Devious!
Is it a littleunderhanded to brute force your way to victory by effectively bribing your sizeable fanbase? Probably not. Notwhen you’re up against the tyranny of democracy. Last year Angry Birds Rio won Best Mobile game at the Golden Joysticks, which is reason enough to never allow a living person to vote on anything ever again.At least this way, some World of Tanks and League of Legends players will earn some treats.
On the World of Tanks front, Wargaming are offering experience multipliers and in-game discounts should they walk away with an award. Here’s the ‘voting incentive’ in full.
- Bonus code, which will give you 3 days of Premium Account and additional premium consumables!
- Price reduction on high tier tanks. These tanks will be discounted to the price of their predecessors in the Tech Tree. The tanks being reduced are as follows:Tier IX Medium Tanks,Tier IX Tank Destroyers,Tier IX Heavy Tanks,Tier VII Self-Propelled Guns
- Tier VIII Premium Vehicles will receive a 15% discount!
- x5 XP for first victory
- 50% Discounts on equipment
- 50% Discounts on garage slots
- 50% Discounts on crew (re)training
In the same category however, Riot are wafting their own rewardin the faces of League of Legends players, before turning away coquettishly, giggling and pointing towards a big red vote button. Should Riot scoop the Best MMO award, they’ll give every player a 10-win IP boost. Enticing stuff.
They can’t both win, of course, but hopefully these attempts to buy our love will escalate into a sort of player-rewards arms race. By the end of the week, we fully expect Jagex’s CEOto announce that he’ll personally come around your house and kiss you on the lips if you vote for Runescape.
Here’s the Golden Joystick website, if you’d like to vote.