YouTube HQ shooter believed her videos were being demonetised | PCGamesN
Back to Top

YouTube HQ shooter believed her videos were being demonetised

YouTube

Update, April 4: the police have identified the YouTube HQ shooter. She had ranted against the company in the belief that they had targeted her videos for demonetisation.

Police have identified the YouTube HQ shooter as 39-year-old Nasim Aghdam.

Aghdam ran several YouTube channels, and a website, where she promoted veganism and Persian culture. However, her father told the Bay Area News Group that she was becoming increasingly angry at YouTube, claiming the company was filtering her videos, reducing her number of views, and demonetising her videos – something she was vocal about on her website. He even warned police she “hated” the company when she was found sleeping in her car near YouTube HQ the night before the shooting, after being reported missing.

“Videos of targeted users are filtered and merely relegated, so that people can hardly see their videos,” Aghdam wrote on her website. “There is no equal growth opportunity on YouTube or any other video sharing site, your channel will grow if they want to.”

Last year, YouTube started making it increasingly difficult to monetise specific content. Less advertiser-friendly videos have had their ads removed, meaning the content creators don’t make money from their views – an issue which has been plaguing those with gaming channels. Aghdam’s claims her videos were demonetised in this way have not been confirmed or denied.

YouTube terminated Aghdam’s account following the shooting. Her social media accounts have also been removed.

Update, April 3, 21:59 GMT:As of now, there is only one confirmed death in the YouTube HQ shooting. ViaPolygon, San Bruno police say “We have one subject who is deceased with a self-inflicted wound, who at this time we believe to be the shooter, but we’re following up on that.”

Police say four people in total were shot, and all have been transported to local medical facilities.

Update, April 3, 21:26 GMT:Law enforcement tells NBC News that the YouTube HQ shooter is deceased.

According to a spokesperson for theZuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital by way of theHollywood Reporter, police have reported fatalities connected with the shootings. The hospital has also recieved a number of injured patients with gunshot wounds.

Our deepest condolences go out to family, friends, and coworkers of those involved.

Original story, April 3, 21:04 GMT:YouTube’s San Bruno, California headquarters are on lockdown this afternoon as police respond to reports of an active shooter. Details are scarce, but numerous reports from YouTube employees on social media have confirmed the situation. San Bruno Police have confirmed activity in the area.

Google’s official communications account promises to provide information as it becomes available.

Based on the most recent reports from YouTube employees, the building has been evacuated.

On Twitter, Todd Sherman offered a detailed account of what he’d seen.

“We were sitting in a meeting and then we heard people running because it was rumbling the floor. First thought was earthquake. After existing the room we still didn’t know what was going on but more people were running. Seemed serious and not like a drill. We headed towards the exit and then saw more people and someone said that there was a person with a gun. Shit.

“At that point every new person I saw was a potential shooter. Someone else said that the person shot out the back doors and then shot themselves. I looked down and saw blood drips on the floor and stairs. Peaked around for threats and then we headed downstairs and out the front. Police cruisers pull up, hopped out with rifles ready and I told them where the situation was as I headed down the street to meet up with a couple team members. In an Uber omw home. Hope everyone is safe.”

We’ll have more details as they become available.

Clicking on links in articles to retailers or publishers may mean we earn a small commission.

Back to Navigation