Some of the Battlefield series’ greatest traditional pleasures have been denied to players of its newest iteration. Ask a friend to “ride shotgun” in your whirlybird, for instance, and what you’re really suggesting is a midair wrestle with a machine gun with the shakes. Similarly, hop on the back of a dirt bike in one of the new China Rising maps and you’ll find your aim as broken as your morale.
Until yesterday, that was, when DICE saw off those issues and several more - including a quirk that saw players shot behind cover when changing stance.
DICE explained yesterday that the issue lay with an avatar’s stance occasionally desyncing with events on the battlefield, by multiple frames at a time. Players transitioning into crouch, going prone, or even moving while crouched were therefore finding that they’d been killed after entering cover.
The developers have sorted that - and increased the camera height when crouching and moving for good measure, to “more accurately reflect the actual height of your soldier”. The first-person camera was “too low”, they suggest, and gave players a poor representation of precisely how much of their head was peeking over the parapet.
The rest of yesterday’s buglist concerns a variety of frustrating problems that have scuttled matches over the last month - whether through crashes, broken aim, or a failure to track players’ actions properly.
- Fixed one of the most frequently occurring client crashes
- Fixed broken collision on containers with open doors. The bug previously made grenades bounce back even though the doors were open.
- Fixed a bug in Defuse mode where defenders could win the round by killing all the attackers without disarming the bomb, if the bomb was disarmed in the previous round.
- Miscellaneous stability fixes further reducing the number of client crashes
- Fixed side gunner jitter when aiming in attack boats & transport helicopters
- Fixed some instances of frame rate drops when shooting at large Levolution objects after they have been destroyed (like the radar dish on Rogue Transmission)
- Fixed broken aiming for passengers on the China Rising dirt bike
- Fixed a bug where the sound when capturing a flag was not playing correctly
- Removed a bug that would double save during MP round transition and SP level transition. This fix will reduce the occurrence of corrupted save files.
Have these fixes come soon enough to win you lot back after the high profile cock up that was the Battlefield 4 launch?