It’s no secret that the US timezone has it better when it comes to announcements about all of the best PC games. From Diablo to Starfield, League of Legends to CS:GO, we need a razor-sharp, UK-based evening news writer to pick up all of Stateside news. Sound like you? Then I suggest you keep reading.
The successful candidate will have a passion for scouring the internet to find the juiciest news bites out there, and will be able to come up with unique angles and headlines to make their articles stand out from the crowd. They’ll be up-to-date with all of the latest gaming trends, and be aware of all of the best sources of information.
They’ll have to be quick on their feet, too, because if Bethesda drops the Starfield release date out of nowhere, they’ll need to be comfortable with a quick pivot.
As part of the deal, you’ll receive 28 days holiday, plus bank holidays and your birthday off to celebrate. Other perks include a private medical plan with enhanced metal health provision, auto-enrolment pension, and more. Sound good? You can find out more about the role below.
Evening News Writer
- Role: Evening News Writer
- Hours: 4pm – Midnight UK time, Monday to Friday
- Location: Fully remote (within UK only)
- Closing date: April 2 2023
- Salary: £25,000
- Apply here
- Writing daily news stories, with a focus on original reporting, and occasional opinion pieces and features
- Ensuring consist editorial standards across all published content
- Uploading stories to site CMS
- Conducting interviews and transcription
- Using all appropriate tools and resources to search for daily news
- Keeping up-to-date of industry trends and talking points
- Spotting, pursuing, and researching opportunities for original investigations
- Identifying opportunities for further coverage of, or alternate angles on, trending stories
- Building and maintaining relationships with PRs, developers, publishers, community sources etc
- Attending and reporting from industry events
- Other as requested by the News Editor, Deputy Editor, or Editor
- Able to write efficiently, quickly, and to task across a range of disciplines, especially news
- Able to find the most interesting, important, and urgent news stories on their shift, and the most interesting angles upon them
- Able to write and publish at least five news stories per shift (unless otherwise agreed with News Editor)
- Able to process and apply feedback, including on rapidly changing SEO best practices, to ensure every story has its best chance of finding its audience
- Plan and prioritise workload to meet agreed deadlines
- Experience writing news or features, preferably online
- Applies expertise; use basic company tools effectively to achieve work objectives
- Proactivity, attention to detail, and a good standard of organisation
- Bring new ideas for longer-form opportunities for coverage by the team, discussing in weekly meetings with the team
- Must be able to produce proof of right to work in the UK by the start of employment
If this sounds like you, be sure to send us your cover letter, CV, and a relevant writing sample via the Network N Media careers portal. We reserve the right to close this advert early if sufficient number of applications have been received.