The big victors in the opening stage of Overwatch League action were the London Spitfire, and the Cloud9-owned organization will add a new roster for the Contenders League – and this time, the players are all European.
Check out the latest details from Overwatch patch 1.20.
British Hurricane is the name of the new team, taking its moniker from the Royal Air Force just like the Spitfire. The namesake Hawker Hurricane played a major role in 1937’s Battle of Britain alongside the Supermarine Spitfire. The team will have dark and light blue colours.
The roster is made up of former players from Cloud9 Europe, 123, and Singularity, with players from the UK and throughout Europe. Here’s the full roster.
- Main Tank – Cameron ‘Fusions’ Bosworth (United Kingdom)
- Off Tank – Hafþór ‘Hafficool’ Hákonarson (Iceland)
- Flex DPS – Finley ‘Kyb’ Adisi (United Kingdom)
- Hitscan DPS – Phillip ‘Kragie’ Krag Brems (Denmark)
- Main Support – Ryan ‘CrusaDe’ van Wegen (Netherlands)
- Support – Daniel ‘FunnyAstro’ Hathaway (United Kingdom)
- Flex Support – Jakob ‘bock1’ Kleveland (Sweden)
- Coach – Nicholas ‘ShiftyOW’ Travis (USA)
- Manager – Ysabel ‘Noukky’ Müller (Germany)
A roster made up of all European players (plus one American) is in notable contrast to London Spitfire’s members, who are all Korean. The team’s reasoning at the time was “we want to win,” and a roster of player’s from one of esports’ biggest national hubs has certainly paid off so far.
Overwatch Contenders League is set to begin this March, with each of the twelve franchises hosting their own team in the development league.