This is going to be a fun patch cycle. It's not just a patch cycle for a new hero, Brigitte, but the first new hero since the Overwatch League began. How will it change the cycle and development process? Will Blizzard be gentler with buffs, harsher with nerfs? We'll see over the next few weeks, but for now, here's the current PTR patch notes, and what we expect to go to live when this cycle ends, based on what has happened so far.
Speaking of the Overwatch League, here's the basics on everything you should know about Blizzard's esports league.
Overwatch Patch 1.21 Release Date
We just don't know! It's likely that this patch won't come out until this phase of the Overwatch League ends, on March 25. The first week of April sounds like a likely release date for this patch, but that's speculation based on previous patch cycles.
Overwatch Patch 1.21 New Hero
Brigitte is the next Overwatch hero! As a support/tank hybrid, she's got a unique place in a team, and is seemingly most effective both in and against a dive composition. Not everything about her has been revealed yet, such as her skins and cosmetics, but we do know her abilities.
- Brigitte's melee weapon has an extended range, enabling her to strike multiple enemies with a single swing.
- Striking enemies with your flail heals Brigitte and nearby allies.
- Brigitte throws a Repair Pack that can heal an ally. Any healing over that ally’s maximum health provides them with armor instead.
- Brigitte throws her flail a long distance, dealing damage and knocking an enemy away from her. This also knocks enemies out of the air - one Twitch streamer showed this off quite well.
- Brigitte deploys a frontal energy barrier to absorb a limited amount of damage.
- Once her Barrier Shield is deployed, Brigitte can dash forward to stun an enemy.
- Brigitte moves faster and provides all nearby allies with armor that lasts until it’ is removed by damage.
Her skins will likely arrive on the PTR in the coming days, and we'll update with them when they do.
Overwatch Patch 1.21 Interface Changes
There's a somewhat minor but helpful change on the Tab screen - rather than just lighting up when ultimate abilities are active, charge percentages are now shown for your allies' ultimates on the Tab screen. A little bit more info, that might go a long way!