With the latest PlanetSide 2 update, the first phase of the Missions System has been introduced. Like the invisible hand of a friendly general, it nudges players towards objectives. Enter a new area, and the Mission System will assign you a goal based on your proximity to the various bases and fortifications, giving you the impetus to invade territory or shoot men in the face from behind the safety of walls.
There’s no end to these objectives - when you finish one, another will appear. And while there’s not tangible rewards for completion, you will still get a 15 percent XP bonus if you succeed while in a squad. Slap your eyes below for full Mission System details.
Missions Phase 1
- Two types of Missions, which are automatically created by the system:
- Attack missions are always created at any capturable enemy facility.
- Defend missions will be created if there is significant enemy presence at a vulnerable friendly facility or a friendly facility is being contested. They will not end until that enemy presence has been removed and the facility is fully resecured. (The guy who keeps accidentally TKing you with C4 is not technically an enemy).
- Mission Assignment
- Missions are automatically created and assigned based on proximity to capturable/contested facilities. Players wishing a different mission can go to the region of choice and the appropriate mission will be automatically assigned.
- The closest mission to the player’s region by lattice-links is the primary selection logic, then action scoring if there is more than one. (If you didn't understand this, it's ok. It just means we are always going to point you in a direction that may get you killed.)
- Players in vehicles (especially aircraft) will experience delays in mission assignment as a convenience to avoid rapid re-assignment spam while travelling around a continent. (Your Outfit leader however may continue to yell conflicting orders more quickly.)
- Squads & Missions
- Players in a squad always inherit their squad leader’s mission. No action by the squad leader is necessary for this behavior.
- The rules for squad leader mission assignment are the same as players not in a squad.
- Mission Rewards
- Players in a squad that are in the area of their squad’s mission will receive a 15% experience bonus for staying together and participating in the squad’s mission. (Once again TKing the guy in the squad for improper C4 use does not get a bonus.)
- There is currently no reward for completing a mission for this phase of the system.
So if you've always felt a wee bit lost when wandering around these war-torn, alien continent, this might be the time to jump back in.
On top of the Mission System, a slew of changes have descended on PlanetSide 2, from UI and death screen tweaks to the crushing of bugs.