Tactical team shooter Squad is getting a bunch of new toys. Though developers Offworld Industries are focused on the big version 10 release, they say they “just couldn’t let you sit around for months and not get some cool stuff in the meantime.”
Do you enjoy the shooting? Do some more of the shooting in the best shooters on PC.
Hence, alpha version 9.4 has just gone live. As you can see from the trailer, it adds some “juicy” (Offworld’s word) new gear, such as mortars, mines, IEDs and a few new vehicles. These will be available for all factions, and there are some gameplay changes and balance tweaks incoming as well.
The full change log is available on the game’s website, but key changes include:
- Added 1 TM-62 anti tank mine, one large IED, an IED phone detonator and 5 decoy rocks to the Scout kit.
- Added deployable rocks and covers to the Scout class for mine concealment.
- Added M1937 82mm Mortar for Insurgents and Militia, 2B14 Podnos 82mm Mortar for Russia and M252 81mm Mortar for the US army.
- Costs 300 construction points and are limited to 2 per FOB. Mortars come with a 'magazine' of 3 rounds at the ready, reloading this magazine costs 90 ammo points from the FOB.
- The current set of mortars in Squad has about 1230m effective range on a level surface; you will have to migrate your fire support battery to a closer FOB if you cannot reach your target.
- All mortars fire standard high explosive rounds - more options will be available in the future.
- Tip: using the arrow keys on your keyboard will add/subtract 1 mil from your current angle.
- Added M-ATV MRAP Heavy Jeep for US; comes both with and without CROWS.
- Added MT-LBM 6MA variant (armed with a KPVT 14.5mm turret) for Russia.
Squad is in early access on Steam here, where it's rated 83% positive, and will set you back £29.99 ($39.99).