Ubisoft revealed Assassin’s Creed Origins to the world at Microsft’s E3 conference, announcing that the game has undergone a bit of a rethink. One of the biggest changes is a focus on abilities and skills, which can be unlocked from a networked skill tree. GameSpot have already had the chance to get hands-on with the game, and you can see some of that new skill tree right here.
Like stats in your games? Try one of the best RPGs.
The skill tree is built up of three branches: Warrior, Hunter, and Seer. Warrior focuses on combat abilities, Seer appears to be special moves like smoke screens and sleeping darts, while Hunter deals with archery and the use of Senu the eagle.
Rather than operate as three distinct trees, the branches interlink as a network. This means the branches overlap, allowing you to, say, unlock things from the Warrior branch by building the Hunter branch out to the overlap point. The team were influenced by Final Fantasy X’s Sphere Grid system, which allows non-linear progression through a skill tree, and that muse is very obvious here.
Each branch has a ‘mastery’ skill that, presumably, you can unlock after allocating enough points in that branch.
Skills that we know so far are:
- Eagle Tagging - Use Senu in stationary mode to tag enemies and various points of interest in activity locations
- Eagle Harass - While in stationary mode, look at an enemy and have Senu stun them. Senu will also harass enemies during combat.
- Pyromaniac - Your fire damage is increased by an additional +50%
- Overpower - When you adrenaline bar is full you can unleash the power of your weapon. Every weapon class has its own unique ability.
- Overpower CP - Killing enemies with your Overpower active gives you XP.
- Smoke Screen - Drop powder after melee attacking or rolling. It stuns nearby enemies and creates a smoke screen, breaking line of sight.
- Parry - Deflect an incoming attack while in shield mode.
- Air Attack - You can perform an attack while in the air.
- Regeneration - Your life can regenerate during combat (passive).
- Flesh Decay - Use this substance to infect a dead body and allow it to contaminate nearby enemies.
Assassin’s Creed Origins releases October 27.