There’s never enough space. I have so many cupboards and shelves, but I still end up having to just leave things lying on the floor due to a lack of room. It’s not my fault. I’m a human, probably, and as a species we are historically rather terrible at making the most of the space that we have.
You’d think that by the time we spread out across the stars, there’d be plenty of room for everyone. If Elite: Dangerous’ third major update is any indication, you’d be wrong. Powerplay introduces a new faction layer to the space MMO, allowing players to pledge their services to various factions, all vying for dominance over the absurdly huge galaxy.
Want more Elite: Dangerous? Here are the best Elite: Dangerous mods.
Powerplay launches today, giving players new objectives so they can advance the cause of their chosen faction. Rewards include new perks, reputation bonuses and faction-specific equipment, so you’ll have a reason to side with leaders who undoubtedly sit in their plush offices, far from the conflict.
According to Frontier, “Every action taken in Powerplay will have a direct and visible impact on the balance of galactic power for all players.”
Along with the faction layer, the free update includes a slew of new features like an updated bounty system and handy drones. Here’s a list of the highlights:
- An enhanced mission system with new objectives and new ways to play.
- Three new ships: the Lakon Diamondback Scout, Lakon Diamondback Explorer and the Imperial Courier.
- Drones for cargo collection, fuel trading and prospecting.
- A new illustrated GalNet newsfeed, accessible directly in players’ ship UI.
- High and low intensity mining sites, adding risk to mining and increasing potential rewards.
- New minable commodities.
- An updated bounty system.
- Upgraded UI and animated emblems for ranking up.
- Numerous other improvements to gameplay and performance.
Will you be picking a side later today?