The Golden Joysticks have spoken, naming this year's best game as Dark Souls 3, followed by Overwatch and a game that released in 2015: Fallout 4.
Which of our upcoming PC games will make it into next year's event?
Dan Dawkins, EIC of GamesRadar+, says, “Dark Souls 3 is the very deserving winner of Ultimate Game Of The Year. On the surface, the series is most well-known for its difficulty, but it’s the impeccable combat, ingenious design and subtly-integrated, dense, lore that binds the game to our affections.
"Dark Souls 3 is unashamed in the demands it makes of the player, yet rigidly fair: weaving a dense, rewarding story, uniquely crafted for the medium.”
You might be sad that Overwatch was pipped to the big awards by Dark Souls 3, but Blizzard's competitive shooter did manage to grab five other awards, including Best Original Game, Best Multiplayer Game, Best Gaming Moment and more, so it's not all bad.
It wasn't just Overwatch that won multiple awards, though. The Witcher 3's Blood and Wine - an expansion released this year - picked up three awards: Best Storytelling, Best Visual Design, and Best Gaming Performance, with Doug Cockle, the voice of Geralt of Rivia, scooping the award for his gravelly grunts.
Obviously Steam won Best Gaming Platform.
Here are the winners in full:
- Best Original Game in association with The Sun - Overwatch
- Best Storytelling - The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
- Best Visual Design - The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
- Best Audio in association with DTS - Fallout 4
- Best Indie Game in association with Kotaku UK - Firewatch
- Gaming Personality of the Year in association with Guinness World Records - Sean Plott (Day (9))
- Best Multiplayer Game in association with PC Gamer Weekender - Overwatch
- Competitive Play of the Year in association with PC Gamer Pro - Coldzera's jumping AWP quad kill at MLG Columbus
- Best Gaming Moment in association with Absolute Radio - Play of the game in Overwatch
- YouTube - Upcoming Personality of the Year - Jesse Cox
- Studio of the Year in association with Edge - CD Projekt Red
- Innovation of the Year - Pokémon GO
- Lifetime Achievement Award - Eiji Aonuma
- Best Gaming Platform - Steam
- Best Gaming Performance - Doug Cockle
- Competitive Game of the Year in association with PC Gamer Pro - Overwatch
- Nintendo Game of the Year in association with Gamesmaster - The Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess HD
- PlayStation Game of the Year in association with OPM - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
- Xbox Game of the Year in association with OXM - Rise of the Tomb Raider
- PC Game of the Year in association with PC Gamer - Overwatch
- Handheld/Mobile Game of the Year in association with Digital Spy - Pokémon GO
- Breakthrough Award - Eric Barone - Stardew Valley
- Hall of Fame - Lara Croft
- Critics Choice Award - Titanfall 2
- Most Wanted Game in association with Green Man Gaming - Mass Effect Andromeda
- Ultimate Game of the Year in association with GamesRadar+ - Dark Souls 3