Thirsty to set the news agenda on all things PC gaming? So are we, and we’re expanding our talented team to do it. You’ll be a full-time member of PCGamesN, working from our office in Bath from 9am to 5pm (GMT) Monday to Friday. This position is entry-level, and is not available remotely.
With a talent for writing and a hunger for news, you’ll support our existing news team as we look to cover – and break – more stories. You’ll see the story in everything from a press release, to a livestream, to a Reddit thread, and be able to distil it to an engaging headline.
You will be able to write lively, authoritative copy about the latest triple-A games, old-school classics, niche PC gems, indies, and the business dealings, communities, and esports programmes behind it all. You’ll be equally hungry to cover daily ‘reactive’ news as you are to break original stories, or develop breaking ones, by chasing leads.
You’ll be willing to work occasional, exceptional hours to cover major events, such as E3. Reporting to the news editor and editor, you’ll receive regular feedback to help you improve, and plenty of support to get you up to speed.
Passion for, and knowledge of, all things PC gaming is required. It’s especially helpful if you’re able to bring us expertise on our platform’s biggest ongoing games, or if you’re immersed in its biggest communities.
Location: Bath, UK.
Application deadline: February 22, 2019.
- Searching for and writing day-to-day news about games new and old
- Researching angles and avenues for the above
- Talking to developers, publishers, and PRs for comment
- Spotting and pursuing opportunities for original investigations
- CMS work, transcription, and other odd-jobs as required
- Occasional review, preview, guide, op-ed, feature, and video work
- Occasional press trips, including internationally
Required skills and experience:
- The ability to write brilliantly, quickly, and to task across a range of disciplines
- A keen interest in PC videogames and a good knowledge of them
- Experience writing news or features regularly, preferably online
- Proficiency with gdocs, email, and other work tools
- Proactivity, attention to detail, and excellent organisation
- A Steam account
Desirable skills and experience:
- Knowledge of and interest in esports
- Previous work at major magazines or websites
- CMS experience
To apply please send your CV, covering letter, and news writing samples to [email protected], using the subject line: ‘News Writer Application‘. We look forward to hearing from you.