The next big patch for Overwatch is currently being tested on the PTR. Patch 1.22 sees the addition of the “avoid as teammate” button, buffs for Reaper and Mei, and nerfs for D.Va, Moira, and Zenyatta. Here’s the full patch notes.
Here’s our guide to the best Overwatch characters in each class.
Overwatch Patch 1.22 Release Date
Overwatch patch 1.22 is currently being tested in the PTR. Though there is no firm date for when the patch will hit live servers, it’s likely to be next week.
Overwatch Patch 1.22 Hero Updates
- Explosive damage reduced from six to four.
Developer Comments:“D.Va’s burst potential is a bit too high, and her Micro Missiles are a major part of that. Currently each missile deals three impact damage and six explosive damage. We’re reducing explosive damage from six to four but leaving the impact damage the same, the net result being 22% damage reduction.”
- Now pierces through enemies.
Developer Comments:“This change helps Mei combat multiple targets that are clumped up, and also makes it easier to keep her freezing a specific target if another enemy gets in the way. In addition, this change helps her ultimate more consistently be able to freeze more targets, especially if they are near each other. Note: While her shots now pierce enemies, they still do not pierce barriers such as Reinhardt’s shield.”
- Reloads Hellfire Shotguns after use.
- Move speed bonus increased from 25% to 50%.
- You can now cancel the ability by pressing the shift or primary fire hotkey.
Developer Comments:“These changes help Reaper use Wraith Form more consistently as an escape, but they also open up new options, such as chasing down key targets.”
- Transparency increased the closer you are to a target.
- Now becomes more transparent the closer its visual effects are to a player’s camera.
- Transparency increased the closer you are to a target.
Developer Comments: “Due to issues with visibility, we have made most of Moira’s visual effects fade away the closer they are to the camera. We have also made modifications to Coalescence to greatly increase the ability for foes and allies alike to see through it when facing it.”
Orb of Destruction
- Secondary fire rate of fire reduced by 15%.
Developer Comments:“Zenyatta is meant to be able to deal a lot of damage, especially for a support, but his alternate fire burst damage was a bit too high. This change keeps the overall damage the same but lowers the DPS slightly and makes it harder to hit multiple shots at very long ranges.”
Overwatch Patch 1.22 Map Updates
- Moved the first payload checkpoint (Pylon Terrace) back ten meters.
Developer Comments: “We moved the checkpoint back for two reasons. The original location swung the map’s balance too far in one direction (favouring the defenders). Also, once the payload reached the checkpoint, defenders returning from spawn could get pinned in this area, usually resulting in their death.”
Overwatch Patch 1.22 General Updates
Avoid as Teammate
- Players can choose to “avoid as teammate” with a drop down menu in the career profile.
Developer Comments: “The addition of the ‘avoid as teammate’ option gives players the ability to craft their online gameplay experience. Up to two players can be selected with this feature. If you use the ‘avoid as teammate’ option on a player, the matchmaker will no longer place you on a team with the avoided player for one week.”
- The ‘poor teamwork’ drop down menu option has been removed.
- The ‘griefing’ drop down menu option has been renamed ‘gameplay sabotage.’
Developer Comments: “Due to player confusion about the most appropriate category to report players for poor or toxic gameplay, we are removing the ‘poor teamwork’ option from the reporting system. Players should instead use the ‘gameplay sabotage’ option when players actively harass or disrupt their own team with game mechanics or their actions. Players should not be reported simply for performing poorly, since everyone occasionally has a bad game.”
- Brigitte’s Golden Weapon variant will now also give her a golden shield.
- Changed Mercy’s Valkyrie voice line.
- Sombra’s ‘Enemies Hacked’ end-of-round card now also displays her offensive assists.
- Simplified hero select tips for roles.
Overwatch Patch 1.22 User Interface Updates
- Heroes can now be selected by double-clicking the hero icon during hero select.
- Added leaderboard information to the competitive information screen. This can be accessed by right-clicking the menu on the competitive card.
Overwatch Patch 1.22 Game Browser, Custom Game Updates
- Lockout elimination cards in the arcade are now just referred to as elimination.
Overwatch Patch 1.22 Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug that prevented Bastion from firing projectiles immediately after going into Tank configuration.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Bastion from being knocked back while transforming during Configuration: Tank.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Brigitte’s impact effects from playing when hitting the environment.
- Fixed a bug that caused Brigitte’s aim to be slightly offset after using Shield Bash.
- Fixed a bug that caused a player’s camera to jitter when spectating Doomfist during his Meteor Strike.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Doomfist’s Meteor Strike from landing where it was telegraphed when standing close to a ledge.
- Fixed a bug that allowed Doomfist’s Meteor Strike to access unintended locations.
- Fixed a bug that caused Doomfist’s Meteor Strike to penetrate angled surfaces as he descended.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Doomfist’s Rocket Punch from impacting enemies because the hitbox size was slightly too small.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Junkrat from being knocked back while piloting his RIP-Tire.
- Fixed a bug that allowed Orisa’s Halt! to sometimes affect enemy targets behind walls.
- Fixed a bug that caused McCree’s Peacekeeper to grow substantially during the hero select screen when certain skins were equipped.
- Fixed a bug that allowed Moira’s Biotic Orb to pass through Mei’s Ice Wall.
- Fixed a bug that caused Tracer’s Recall to activate differently based on the player’s latency.