In keeping with a strong Obsidian tradition, Knights of the Old Republic 2 was never quite finished and so, the version that’s existed on Steam has been both out-of-date and a shadow of what Obsidian intended.
But now, out-of-the-blue, KOTOR 2 just received a massive, modernizing patch that might just make KOTOR 2 than it’s ever been.
These are some hefty updates that have just been nonchalantly dropped on KOTOR 2.
- 37 achievements to be earned through gameplay
- Steam Cloud saves
- Native widescreen resolution support
- Resolution support up to 4K and 5K
- Support for controllers, including Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, and Playstation 4, along with several others (check the system requirements for details)
- Steam Workshop support! We proudly worked with the Restored Content Mod Team to have their famous TSLRCM up on launch day
That last point is pretty important. As KOTOR 2 fanboy Austin Walker explains over at Giant Bomb, TSLRCM (The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod) re-introduces a ton of cut-content that was left out of the game but still existed on the release discs. Now all that content is just a button-press away, rather than requiring a whole modding rigamarole.
The modernizing touches, like widescreen and high-res support, are also pretty great.
Man, the Disney-Lucas acquisition just continues to be a godsend for PC gamers.
via Giant Bomb