Dota 2 is celebrating its biggest-ever update and what is essentially a brand new game. Well, brand new games need patches, and there’s bound to be a whole bunch of them. Below we’ve gathered some highlights from the last few to be deployed, along with links to where you can find out more.
For playing yourself, try these Dota 2 heroes.
January 11 - Quick Move Patch
This patch introduced one mini-feature and a load of bug fixes, along with some other tweaks. Highlights:
- Fixed CTRL Clicking on certain units not selecting them all.
- Added “Quick Move” option to settings.
- Smart double tap in Legacy Key mode now works for the correct keys for Invoker’s invoked spells (such as alacrity's "Z") instead of "D" or "F" depending on the slot.
- Players no longer display "has connected to to the game" in chat at the start of hero selection.
No official patch notes from Valve, but this Reddit thread has it all. Sir Belvedere is back!
January 9 - Matchmaking Patch
A smallish patch was issued to stop high-ranking players from having to wait upwards of thirty minutes in the queue to find games. Highlights:
- Fixed a problem with ranked matchmaking that was causing longer than normal wait times for some very high skill players.
- Increased the timeout for players connecting to a game - from 20 seconds to 30 seconds.
- Fixed an audio volume issue with Sniper's Assassinate and Aghanim's Scepter.
January 5 - No Christmas Patch
Roshan lost his Christmas spirit, and a batch of bugs were fixed. Highlights:
- Improved overall performance of the in-game user interface.
- Moved the "Miss" message to appear over the target of the attack, and added an "Evade" message that appears over the target of a missed attack.
- Fixed bots waiting for primary runes at 0:00.
- Various optimizations across the HUD to improve performance.
January 3 - Hero Swap Patch
This was a minor patch that introduced a few bug fixes and allowed heroes to be swapped during the strategy phase. Full notes:
- Hero swapping is now possible during strategy time by right-clicking on player names at the top of the screen.
- Fixed items combining on the courier.
- Added a range display to many items which grant auras.
- Fixed a bug in captain's mode when a player did not pick a hero, which was causing no hero to be assigned to that player.
- Fixed a bug where post-game commend and report options would not appear in some cases.
- Fixed a visual bug with Underlord's Pit of Malice rendering after the spell had finished.
- Fixed a rendering bug where an incorrect 3D scene would sometimes appear in the user interface.
January 2 - Bug Fix Patch
A small patch, fixing a few bugs and making Weaver a teeny bit more effective vs. Monkey King. Full notes:
- Weaver's Swarm now provides vision of Monkey King while in a tree.
- Fixed control clicking on units to select all of a given type.
- Fixed a bug where hero portraits in chat were blocking clicks.
- Fixed a bug where some hero models in the versus screen sometimes failed to animate.
- Fixed a visual bug with Mjollnir's static charge effects.
- Fixed a bug where the default cosmetic items sometimes failed to apply to heroes.
A few further, undocumented changes were also found over in the dedicated Reddit thread.
Those are the last five Dota 2 patches - more are always on the way. We'll update when Valve do.