Which locations are in Baldur’s Gate 3? Much like similar role-playing games, such as the original Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Pillars of Eternity, and even Divinity: Original Sin 2, Baldur’s Gate 3 features locations that work much the same way. Each separate map is packed full of quests, NPCs of interest, and powerful equipment to uncover. But how do you know if you’ve found it all? The answer is simple: strategy guides back in the 1990s and early 2000s had you covered, and now, we have you covered.
To explore all the locales in Baldur’s Gate 3, you’ll have to pick a class first. Check out our guide that sheds light on every Baldur’s Gate 3 class and their subclasses in the game, and as you explore you’re guaranteed to run into the many Baldur’s Gate 3 races of Faerun. All caught up? Read on to find out all we know about the locations you’ll visit while playing Baldur’s Gate 3.
All Baldur’s Gate 3 locations
The Nautiloid, a mind flayer ship used to travel between worlds and planes of existence, serves as Baldur’s Gate 3’s tutorial area. You’ll meet some future companions aboard as you come to grips with combat and escape the doomed Cthulu-like ship
The Nautiloid quests
Here are the quests in the Nautiloid:
- Escape the Nautiloid – automatically added to your journal.
The Nautiloid characters
Here are the characters in the Nautiloid:
- Laezel – tries to fight you once you escape from the Illithid pod.
- Shadowheart – can be rescued from an Illithid pod.
- Us – can be freed from the skull of Myrnath.
The Nautiloid items
Here are the items in the Nautiloid:
- Everburn Blade – looted from Commander Zhalk on the Nautiloid’s bridge.
The beach where you awaken after escaping the Nautiloid. Overgrown ruins and sheer cliffs are rife with goblins and bandits as you recruit up to four possible companions while coming to grips with the mind flayer tadpole in your head.
Ravaged Beach quests
Here are the Ravaged Beach quests:
- Explore the Ruins – obtained from Shadowheart as she tries to open a door to the ruins.
- Remove the Parasite – obtained automatically.
Ravaged Beach characters
Here are the characters in the Ravaged Beach:
- Astarion – recruitable after he tries to slit your throat to the west of Ravaged Beach
- Gale – recruitable after he pops out of a purple magic portal.
- Laezel – recruitable once you rescue her from the Tieflings near the ruins.
- Shadowheart – recruitable after rescuing her aboard the Nautiloid or helping her open the door to the ruins.
Ravaged Beach items
None discovered in early access. We will update this guide if this changes with the full release.
‘Dank’ as in damp and not as in ‘awesome,’ this dungeon is accessed from the Ravaged Beach from one of several entrances guarded by bandits. The Dank Crypt is rife with dangerous traps, difficult puzzles, valuable treasure, and a camp companion.
Dank Crypt quests
Here are the quests in the Dank Crypt:
- Explore the Ruins – obtained by Shadowheart at the entrance.
Dank Crypt characters
Here are the characters in the Dank Crypt:
- The Hooded Skeleton – He will later appear in camp and can revive dead allies.
The Dank Crypt items
Here are the items in the Dank Crypt:
- The Amulet of Lost Voices – a rare amulet found inside a heavy chest.
Home to both the Druids and refugee Tieflings, this area serves as a hub for much of the first chapter. Your choices here will have drastic consequences for the people that call Druid Grove home. This area also includes the Emerald Grove and Tiefling Hideout.
Druid Grove quests
Here are the quests in Druid Grove:
- Find the Nightsong – speak with Aradin outside of Druid Grove.
- Save Arabella – speak with Marricko and Locke at the Sacred Pool.
- Save the Goblin Sazza – gained in the Makeshift Prison.
- Save the Refugees – speak with Zevlor near the entrance to Druid Grove.
- Steal the Sacred Idol – speak to Mol after the Investigate the Beach quest in the Secluded Cove.
Druid Grove characters
Here are the characters in Druid Grove:
- Kagha – leader of the Druids.
- Zelvor – leader of the refugee Tieflings.
- Wyll – recruitable after battling the goblins at the entrance of Druid Grove.
Druid Grove items
Here are the items in Druid Grove:
- Amulet of Silvanus – hidden under a rock southeast of Druid Grove.
- Broodmother’s Revenge – dropped by Kagha.
- Cap of Curing – in a chest near Alfira the Tiefling bard.
- Gloves of Power – dropped by the goblin Za’Krug.
- Hellrider’s Pride – dropped by Zelvor.
- Cherished Locket – reward for the Save Arabella quest.
- Shaft of the Vision of the Absolute – part of an uncommon weapon to the east of Druid Grove on the body of Edowin.
- Sorrow – within the Hidden Vault.
To the east of Druid Grove’s sacred pool, you will discover this small, secluded cove to explore. Be warned: Harpies prowl the area.
Secluded Cove quests
Here are the quests in the Secluded Cove:
- Investigate the Beach – continue on until you hear singing.
Secluded Cove characters
Here are the characters in the Secluded Cove:
- Entranced Child – Mirkon, a Tiefling child.
Secluded Cove items
Here are the items in the Secluded Cove:
- Ring of Colour Spray – found in the Harpy’s nest.
The Blighted Village
With a name like that, you can rest assured the Blighted Village isn’t a friendly place. Goblins and Ogres abound, along with a handful of quests and some extremely powerful items to help you through chapter one.
Blighted Village quests
- Finish the Masterwork Weapon – granted by reading Highcliff’s Journal.
- Search the Cellar – obtained by entering the cellar in an abandoned house in the south of the village.
- Rescue the Gnome – approach the Gnome that Goblins tied to the windmill.
Blighted Village characters
Here are the characters in the Blighted Village:
- Fezzerk – a goblin part of Wyll’s companion quest.
- Barcus Wroot – a Gnome you can rescue from Goblins.
Blighted Village items
Here are the items in the Blighted Village:
- Lumps War Horn – obtained by convincing Lump to fight with you.
- Haste Helm – inside a wooden chest.
- The Speedy Lightfeet – found in a chest beneath the windmill.
- Very Heavy Greataxe – dropped by Fezzerk.
- Warped Headband of Intellect – dropped by Lump The Enlightened.
East of the Druid Grove, this small dungeon houses a ferocious Owlbear and its cub along with a handful of powerful items.
Owlbear Nest quests
None as yet – we will update this guide if more become available in the full release.
Owlbear Nest characters
Here are the characters in Owlbear Nest:
- Owlbear cub – a possible camp companion.
Owlbear Nest items
Here are the items in Owlbear Nest:
- The Oak Father’s Embrace – an uncommon medium armor lootable after you kill the Owlbear.
- Head of the Vision of the Absolute – part of an uncommon weapon.
- Moondrop Pendant – found in a sealed chest.
Beneath the Blighted Village this optional dungeon awaits. It is not a location those with arachnophobia should visit anytime soon. There are no quests or characters to note in the Whispering Depth, but we will update this guide should some become available in the full release.
Whispering Depth items
Here are the items in the Whispering Depth:
- Dark Amethyst – required for the Search the Cellar quest.
- Poisoner’s Robe – dropped by Phase Spider Matriarch.
- Spiderstep Boots -found within a room in the cave.
A sunny swamp with much more to it than meets the eye, this is one of the more dangerous areas in the first chapter of the game. Soon, you’ll learn that it goes by another name: the Putrid Bog. This area also includes the Overgrown Tunnel.
Sunlit Wetlands quests
Here are the quests in the Sunlit Wetlands:
- Save Mayrina – obtained by talking to two brothers near the entrance to the area.
Sunlit Wetlands characters
Here are the characters in the Sunlit Wetlands:
- Auntie Ethel – an elderly woman you definitely shouldn’t trust.
- Demir and his brother Johl.
- Gandrel – a monster hunter related to Astarion’s companion quest.
Sunlit Wetlands items
Here are the Sunlit Wetlands items:
- Staff of the Crones – in the Overgrown Tunnel at the back of the Gnarled Teahouse.
- The Ever-Seeing Eye – an amulet deep within the Overgrown Tunnel.
- The Sparkle Hands -found in a wooden chest to the southeast of the Sunlet Wetlands.
Whether you slaughter all the Goblins within the camp, sneak your way in, or convince a Goblin to vouch for you, the Goblin Camp isn’t an area you should take lightly. Whether you side with the Druids or the Goblin leader will determine how the rest of the chapter unfolds.
Goblin Camp quests
Here are the quests in the Goblin Camp:
- Chicken chasing challenge – speak to Krolla. Not an actual quest.
- Rescue Volo – gained when you enter the Goblin Camp.
Goblin Camp characters
Here are the Goblin Camp characters:
- Owlbear cub – in the chicken-chasing game.
- Novice Crusher -an arrogant Goblin.
Goblin Camp items
Here are the items in the Goblin Camp:
- Crusher’s Ring – dropped by Novice Crusher.
- Boots of Aid and Comfort – sold by Grat the trader.
- Glowing Shield – near the sleeping bugbear.
- The Whispering Promise – sometimes sold by Great the trader.
Within the Goblin Camp you’ll find an entrance to the Shattered Sanctum. Inside, two potential companions await: the Druid Halsin and the cultist Minthara – also quite a lot of Goblins. Be ready for many fights and plenty of great loot for rewards. This area includes the Defiled Temple and the Worg Pens.
Shattered Sanctum quests
Here are the quests in the Shattered Sanctum:
- Raid the Grove – speak with Minthara (do not attack the Goblins).
Shattered Sanctum characters
Here are the characters in the Shattered Sanctum:
- Halsin – imprisoned within the Warg Pens.
- Dror Ragzlin – one of the Goblin leaders.
- Minthara – possible companion, and one of the Goblin leaders.
- Priestess Gut – one of the Goblin leaders.
- Volo – part of the Rescue Volo quest.
Shattered Sanctum items
Here are the items in the Shattered Sanctum:
- Absolute’s Talisman – dropped by Priestess Gut.
- Absolute’s Warboard – dropped by Priestess Gut.
- Amulet of Selune’s Chosen – found in a chest.
- Boots of Striding – dropped by Minthara.
- Faithbreaker – dropped by Dror Ragzlin.
- Linebreaker Boots – dropped by Beastmaster Zurk in the Warg Pens.
- Loviatar’s Scourge – dropped by Abdirak.
- Jagged Spear – dropped by Torturer Spike.
- Springstep Boots – found near Drog Ragzlin in a chest.
- The Watersparkers – found in a chest near Minthara.
- Xyanyde – dropped by Minthara.
The Risen Road
Much like the rest of the wilderness you can explore in chapter one, The Risen Road is crawling with enemies – dishonest Paladins, hyaenas and gnolls, and hostile Githyanki. Luckily, you can also find a potential – and powerful – companion.
Risen Road quests
Here are the quests in the Risen Road:
- Find the Missing Shipment – gained when you stumble upon people trapped by Gnolls.
- Hunt the Devil – after finding the wounded Karlach.
- Rescue the Grand Duke – when you approach the burning tavern.
- Rescue the Trapped Man – when you enter the burning tavern.
Risen Road characters
Here are the Risen Road characters:
- Karlach – a Tiefling Barbarian and possible companion.
- Anders – a Paladin of Tyr who’s more than meets the eye.
Risen Road items
Here are the items in the Risen Road:
- Gloves of Succor – in the tollhouse.
- Reason’s Grasp – found within the cave (Find the Missing Shipment quest).
- Shattered Flail – dropped by Flind the Gnoll.
- Smuggler’s Ring – beneath The Risen Road bridge.
- Sword of Justice – dropped by Anders.
Hidden beneath Waukeen’s Rest in The Risen Road, this optional area is accessed only after finishing Find the Missing Shipment quest. Inside, you’ll find a merchant with some great items and another quest.
Zhentarim Hideout quests
Here are the Zhentarim Hideout quests:
- Free the Artist – once you enter the Zhentarim Hideout.
Zhentarim Hideout characters
Here are the Zhentarim Hideout characters:
- Brem – a merchant that sells powerful items.
- Oskar – an artist that you can free from the Zhentarim.
Zhentarim Hideout items
Here are the Zhentarim Hideout items:
- Doom Axe – sold by Brem after you complete Find the Missing Shipment.
- Giantbreaker – sold by Brem after you complete Find the Missing Shipment.
- The Jolty Vest – sold by Brem after you complete Find the Missing Shipment.
One of the biggest dungeons in chapter one, the infamous Underdark also houses some of the most powerful enemies. There are multiple ways to enter this massive labyrinth, but no matter which way you choose, be prepared to fight powerful enemies such as the Spectator Beholder and Minotaurs. This also includes the Selunite Outpost and the Festering Cove, both accessed through the Underdark.
Here are the quests in Underdark:
- Avenge the Sovereign – speak to Glut near Ebonlake Grotto.
- Defeat the Duergar Intruders – found in the Myconid Colony.
- Deliver Nere’s Head – from Spaw in the Myconid Colony.
- Protect the Myconid Circle – found in the Myconid Colony.
- Find the Missing Boots – from Gekh Coal if you convince him not to attack.
- Find the Mushroom Picker – found in the Myconid Colony.
- Cure the Poisoned Gnome – found in the northeast corner of the Underdark.
- Tell Omeluum About the Parasite – gained by talking to Blurg.
Here are the characters in Underdark:
- Blurg – a Hobgoblin trader with many unique items.
- Derryth Bonecloak – a merchant with unique items.
- Thulla – a Deep Gnome part of several quests.
Here are the items in Underdark:
- Amulet of the Unworthy – dropped by a slain Minotaur.
- Bloodguzzler Garb – dropped by Bulette.
- Circlet of Blasting – sometimes sold by Blurg.
- Helmet of Autonomy – found in the Festering Cove.
- Helmet of Smiting – found in the Selunite Outpost.
- Herbalist’s Gloves – sometimes sold by Derryth Bonecloak.
- Mourning Frost – obtained by combining an Icy Crystal, Icy Helve, and Icy Metal.
- Phalar Aluve – found near Selunite’s Outpost.
- Shortsword of the First Blood – found on a Duergar body.
- Sickle of Boooal – dropped by Pooldrip the Zealous in Festering Cove.
- Slippery Chain Shirt – found in the Festering Cove.
- Sunwalker’s Gift – sometimes sold by Blurg.
- The Lifebringer – sometimes sold by Blurg.
- The Psychic Spark – sometimes sold by Blurg.
The Arcane Tower
Accessed in the southeast region of the Underdark, this enchanted area is protected by Arcane Turrets, strange automations, and a hoard of magical items.
The Arcane Tower quests
There are no quests in the Arcane Tower in the early access version of the game. We will update this guide if this changes with the full release.
The Arcane Tower characters
Here are the characters in the Arcane Tower:
- Bernard – the tower’s robotic guardian
The Arcane Tower items
Here are the items in the Arcane Tower:
- Guiding Light – a ring that Bernard carries.
- Light of Creation – dropped by Bernard.
- Mystra’s Grace – found in a chest within the tower.
- Skybreaker – found in a chest near the entrance.
- Staff of Arcane Blessing – found in a hidden basement accessed with Guiding Light equipped.
- The Sparkswall – found in a hidden basement accessed with Guiding Light equipped.
- Uncovered Mysteries – found near an elevator.
Past the Underdark’s Decrepit Village lies the Gyrmforge, an area claimed by the antagonistic Duergar race. Here you’ll find the Adamantine Forge, which allows you to make some ultra-powerful equipment.
Here are the quests in the Gyrmforge:
- Find Explosives – speak to Brithvar in Grymforge.
- Free True Soul Nere – speak to Sergeant Thrinn in Grymforge.
- Help the Cursed Monk – obtained by looting the Sentient Amulet near the Adamantine Forge.
- Save the Grymforge Gnomes – speak to Lunkbug in the Grymforge.
The Adamantine Forge – gained from speaking to the Duergar.
Here are the Gyrmforge characters:
- Sergeant Thrinn – a Duergar leader.
- Gyrm – a powerful boss in the Adamantine Forge.
Here are the Gyrmforge items:
- Adamantine Longsword – made in the Adamantine Forge
- Adamantine Mace – made in the Adamantine Forge
- Adamantine Scale Mail – made in the Adamantine Forge
- Adamantine Scimitar – made in the Adamantine Forge
- Adamantine Shield – made in the Adamantine Forge
- Adamantine Splint Armour – made in the Adamantine Forge
- Dark Justicar Helm – found on another skeleton
- Dark Justicar Mail – found near the Ancient Forge waypoint
- Dark Justicar Mask – found on a skeleton
- Disintegrating Night Walkers – dropped by True Soul Nere
- Firestoker – found in a chest
- Gyrmskull Helm – dropped by Gyrm
- Sentient Amulet – on an island surrounded by lava
- Sword of Screams – dropped by True Soul Nere
At the end of the first act you reach these towers. Rest assured we will update when the game fully launches.
Yes, that’s a lot of quests, items, and colorful characters to meet in Baldur’s Gate 3 – with more to come that we will update here. To get a better idea of who you’ll be adventuring to all these fantastically dangerous places with, check out our guides on characters such as Karlach the Tiefling Barbarian, or Minsc, who returns from previous Baldur’s Gate games. Knowing all your options by reading our overview of all the Baldur’s Gate 3 actions available to you will also make sure you stay alive while you adventure through Faerun.