Overwatch 2 patch notes for Season 6 are here, delivering plenty of changes to some of your favorites as the long-awaited Overwatch 2 story missions make their appearance in the Blizzard multiplayer game. Alongside the arrival of the game’s newest support hero and its new PvE missions, this Overwatch 2 update changes a lot of its roster, with the much-discussed Mercy damage boost nerf leading the charge.
New Overwatch 2 hero Illari is of course the focus of the update from a hero balance perspective, but many other supports have seen changes too, along with most of the game’s tank roster and a number of damage heroes. It’s good news for the likes of Lifeweaver, Lucio, Bastion, Torbjörn, Winston, and Orisa, but bad news if you’re a fan of Soldier: 76, Sombra, Ana, or of course Mercy.
For the full list of changes, you can read on below for the full list of Overwatch 2 patch changes. It’s also worth noting that, with the arrival of both story missions and event missions, there will now be unique hero balance changes exclusive to co-op modes, which also include the removal of passive ultimate charge gain and increased overall ult costs.
Overwatch 2 Season 6 patch notes – Thursday August 10, 2023
Here are the Overwatch 2 patch notes for August 10, 2023:
Overwatch 2 Invasion
- Overwatch 2: Invasion is now available, with new Invasion story missions, all-new skins and cosmetic rewards in the Invasion Battle Pass, the new core PvP game mode Flashpoint, and the new support hero Illari.
New support hero: Illari
Using solar threading augmentation, Illari strikes down her enemies by harnessing the power of the sun.
Weapon: Solar Rifle
- Primary fire: Long range auto-charging rifle
- Secondary fire: Medium range healing beam that consumes solar energy
Ability 1: Outburst
- Launches you in the direction you are moving, knocking back enemies. Hold jump to go higher.
Ability 2: Healing Pylon
- Deploy a pylon that heals allies.
Ultimate: Captive Sun
- Fire an explosive ball of solar energy. Enemies hit are slowed, and explode after taking significant damage.
New game mode: Flashpoint
- Flashpoint is a new core game mode available on two new maps: Suravasa and New Junk City.
- Gameplay begins with both teams pursuing a central objective called a Flashpoint, aiming to capture it before the opposing team does.
- Capture progress for Flashpoint is like the Control game mode, but plays out faster.
- A point is captured by a team once a Flashpoint reaches 100% capture progress.
- If the Flashpoint is being contested by a member of the opposite team currently not in control when the capture progress reaches 99%, Overtime will activate until either the team in control can remove all remaining opponents off, or until the contesting team can retake control of the Flashpoint.
- A point is scored when a Flashpoint is fully captured by a team; however, gameplay continues with a new Flashpoint located somewhere else on the map.
- The team to be the first to successfully capture three of the five flashpoints wins the match.
- Flashpoint is available now in Unranked modes and will be available for Competitive Play later this season.
New Invasion story missions
- Players who purchase the Invasion Bundle from the in-game shop can play in all-new Story Missions with their friends or others in queue.
- These massive co-op experiences will have players face against the invading forces of Null Sector, who have launched an all-out global offensive. Play through all of them and unlock the Overwatch 2 hero Sojourn, along with her new Vigilante Legendary skin.
- Players can access the Story Missions can be accessed through Winston’s Desk in the Missions card in the play menu.
- With the introduction of Overwatch 2: Invasion Story Missions, we will have specific hero balance changes for multiple heroes to ensure players have a continuous challenge when playing in co-op modes like story missions and event missions.
- Heroes no longer passively gain ultimate charge over time.
- Ultimate costs increased in co-op game modes.
New limited-time event: King’s Row Underworld
- Stop Null Sector from taking over the Omnic Underworld in this new co-op event that’s free to play for everyone!
- Every week, we’ll be adding new challenges and ways to play this new co-op event. The King’s Row Underworld event runs from August 10 to September 5.
- Train your aim with an all-new addition to the Practice Range! Use targets large and small, stationary and mobile, to perfect your crosshair tracking skills. Rack up points and strive to set the high score!
- Added a new Weekly challenge: Making Progress – Earn 8 Progression Levels. Instead of rewarding additional Battle Pass XP, this challenge rewards 150 Overwatch Credits to buy items from the Hero Gallery.
- Weekly Overwatch Coins reward requirements are updated from 4/8/11 to 4/9/12.
- Added a new set of challenges for the Invasion story missions. They can be found under the Lifetime tab.
- Added Player Progression challenges for all 38 heroes. Player Icons can now be earned through these challenges.
- Added Gold player title rewards to Competitive challenges.
- Increased minimum Blazing time to 10 seconds.
- Added a 3-second cooldown to Blazing to prevent the sound effect from playing too frequently.
- The visual effects for Blazing have been enhanced.
- Changed Symmetra’s personal Teleporter pings to work like Illari’s personal Healing Pylon pings so that the waypoint UI is removed when these objects are pinged.
- Fixed Lifeweaver pinging enemy Petal Platforms as if they belong to him.
- Health Packs are now pingable.
- The ‘Unfiltered’ setting for all text chat channels has been removed. Players will have a choice on their chat settings between Friendly and Mature. Players that had previously set Text Profanity Filters to Unfiltered will now have applicable filters set to Mature.
- Regardless of text chat filter settings, please continue to report those using inappropriate chat using the in-game report tool.
Top 500 leaderboards
- The number of wins required to appear on the Top 500 Leaderboard has been increased from 25 to 50 for consistency with our other Competitive game modes.
Hero balance updates
- Boosters: Cooldown reduced from 4 to 3.5 seconds.
- Eject Mech: Pilot is now damage immune for 0.4 seconds while ejecting.
- Seismic Slam: Cooldown reduced from 7 to 6 seconds.
- Power Block: Now reduces damage from stuck projectiles.
- Fusion Driver: Damage falloff range increased from 15 to 20 meters.
- Fortify: Fortify health bonus increased from 75 to 125.
- Nemesis – Block: Block now reduces damage from stuck projectiles.
- Annihilation: Ultimate cost increased 12%. Block now reduces damage from stuck projectiles.
- Base movement ground deceleration increased to match standard heroes movement.
- Tesla Cannon: Secondary fire charge time reduced from 1.2 to 1 second. Secondary fire recovery time increased from 0.5 to 0.75 seconds.
- A-36 Tactical Grenade: Maximum explosion damage falloff reduced from 70% to 50%. Detonation time reduced from 0.5 to 0.35 seconds. Recoil adjusted to recover more quickly. Projectile size increased from 0.2 to 0.25. Impact damage increased from 15 to 30.
- Configuration Recon: Reload time reduced from 1.5 to 1.2 seconds.
- Configuration Assault: Transforming into Configuration Assault now repairs 50 armor health.
- Configuration Artillery: Targeting state movement speed increased from 20 to 25 meters per second.
- Base health increased from 200 to 225.
- Peacekeeper: Peacekeeper damage falloff range rescaled from 25-45 meters to 25-35 meters.
- Magnetic Grenade: Projectile now has a maximum travel time of 1.5 seconds. Slow amount reduced from 30 to 25%.
- Storm Bow: Arrow draw progress is no longer preserved while wall climbing.
- EMP: Ultimate cost increased 15%. No longer destroys Lifeweaver’s Tree of Life.
- Helix Rocket: Explosion damage reduced from 90 to 80.
- Tactical Visor: Ultimate cost increased 10%.
- Weapon swap time reduced from 0.5 to 0.4 seconds.
- Rivet Gun: Primary fire recovery time reduced from 0.55 to 0.48 seconds.
- Forge Hammer: Swing recovery time reduced from 0.75 to 0.6 seconds.
- Biotic Rifle: Damage and healing per projectile reduced from 75 to 70. Unscoped projectile size increased from 0 to 0.1.
- Barrier Shield: Barrier Shield health reduced from 300 to 250.
- Rally: Ultimate cost increased 6%.
- Protection Suzu: Knockback removed. Healing reduced from 50 to 40. Now heals for an additional 30 health when cleansing a negative effect.
- Kunai: Damage increased from 40 to 45. Recovery time reduced from 0.55 to 0.5 seconds. Critical damage multiplier reduced from 3 to 2.5x.
- Base health reduced from 200 to 175.
- Base shield health increased from 0 to 50.
- Thorn Volley: Reduced spread for one of the two Thorn Volley projectiles fired per shot by 25%.
- Rejuvenating Dash: Healing increased from 25 to 50.
- Life Grip: Mobility lockout duration increased from 0.45 to 0.75 seconds.
- Tree of Life: 50% of Tree of Life’s overhealing is now converted into Overhealth – up to 100 maximum Overhealth.
- Crossfade: Self-healing penalty is now reduced from 60 to 0% for the duration of Amp It Up.
- Caduceus Staff: Secondary fire damage boost reduced from 30 to 25%.
Note as mentioned above that specific balance changes have been made for co-op modes such as story missions and event missions. For these individual changes and additional bug fixes, you can check the extended patch notes courtesy of Blizzard.