Last week, Epic publicly said they weren’t certain about the future of their free-to-play action MOBA, Paragon. Today, they’ve confirmed that the game will be shutting down as of April 26, 2018.
These are the best MOBAs on PC.
“After careful consideration,” the official announcement says, “and many difficult internal debates, we feel there isn’t a clear path for us to grow Paragon into a MOBA that retains enough players to be sustainable. We didn’t execute well enough to deliver on the promise of Paragon. We have failed you -- despite the team’s incredibly hard work -- and we’re sorry.”
Epic will provide full refunds to Paragon players “for every purchase on any platform.” They don’t mention any time constraints or other limitations for these refunds. You can request money back through their refund portal.
Paragon’s servers will continue normal operation until April 26, but Epic warn that as player counts decrease matchmaking times and quality will “further degrade.” Nonetheless, this will be your last chance to check out Paragon before it’s gone for good.
The previous statement suggested that the developers were rethinking their efforts with Paragon in part due to the success of Fortnite, which shined a light on the MOBA’s relative lack of growth. It’s disappointing to see any game fail, but it is nice to see Epic able to make good regarding players’ investments in the game, especially given the notably disastrous shutdowns of games like Marvel Heroes.