The latest Fortnite patch, 5.1, has changed the game in exciting new ways all over again. Last week we enjoyed the new MP5-like submachine gun, but now we have yet another new SMG. Now that Fortnite season 5 is well underway, we’re thoroughly enjoying these new additions.
Fortnite patch 5.1 adds a compact SMG to the game, and many eager players are comparing it to the well-known P90. Along with some new Fortnite skins for Founder’s Pack owners, this new submachine gun addition is listed on the announcement screen where it is described as an “SMG that excels at close quarters combat”. We also get a Slurp Juice buff and the return of the Playground LTM.
What’s more, we’ve got a bonus set of challenges to celebrate the first year of one of the best battle royale games around. But, before we get to that, make sure you don’t neglect your Fortnite season 5 week 3 challenges, which includes shooting down four Fortnite Clay Pigeons. Here are the full details on Fortnite patch 5.1.
The Fortnite compact SMG looks an awful lot like the P90, just as last week’s new submachine gun looked like an MP5 in Fortnite patch 5.0. The P90 is especially effective up close and personal, and it comes in epic and legendary rarities.
Compact SMG – added
- Epic and legendary
- 23- 24 base
- Floor loot, chests, supply drops, and vending machines
Epic’s battle royale behemoth is now a year old, so celebrate in the best way possible with some special Fortnite birthday challenges, including your fun task of dancing in front of Fortnite birthday cakes. There’s loads to see and do as part of the celebrations, but just make sure you save us some cake.
- You can now find birthday cakes placed around the map with consumable slices next to them. Enjoy those tasty treats!
- Cake slices give +5 health and +5 shield instantly when consumed.
- The Battlebus and Supply Drops have been decorated to celebrate #Fortnite1st.
Playground is a low-pressure environment where friends can let their creativity run wild. Build massive structures. Practice with the weapons and items. Fight against your friends. This mode returns with improvements for a limited time on Wednesday, July 25.
- Players can now switch teams in-game. Join the same team to work together creatively, join separate teams to practice fighting each other!
- Note: Voice chat will remain on across all teams, future iterations of the mode will offer more customisation.
- Aim assist will work when using a gamepad against players on an opposing team.
- Matches will no longer end if one player leaves the server.
- Golf carts have been added and spawn 100% of the time.
- Ammo cans spawn 10x the amount of ammo.
- Removed grey vending machines, increased the chances of higher-tier machines spawning.
- Increased launch & bounce pads spawn likelihood.
- Lowered forced glider deploy height, so players can get back into the action more quickly.
- Increased max rocket ammo cap to 60.
- Increased rocket ammo drop rates.
- Added 100 Supply Drops.
- Chests now spawn 3 weapons and more ammo & consumables than normal.
- Floor loot now spawns 3 items.
- Increased Chug Jug and Slurp Juice spawn chances, decreased Bandages.
- Added Chug Jugs to floor loot.
- Respawn timer lowered from 10s to 3s.
What is Playground mode?
- Drop into the Battle Royale map alone or with up to a full squad for an hour.
- Players respawn immediately unless eliminated by the Storm.
- The Storm doesn’t start closing in for 55 minutes and takes 5 minutes to close in.
- Resources gained from harvesting increased by ten times the normal amount.
- 100 Llamas will be spawned on the map.
- Chests & ammo boxes spawn 100% of the time.
Slurp juice – buffed
- 1HP every 0.5 seconds up to 75 max
- Refills shield if health full
Supply Drop loot rates adjusted
- Weapons (drops 1)
- Assault Rifles to 25% from 14.2%.
- Explosives to 25% from 28.5%.
- Compact SMG 14.58%.
- Sniper Rifles to 14.58% from 28.5%.
- Heavy Shotgun to 10.42% from 7.1%.
- Minigun to 10.42% from 14.2%.
- Removed Hand Cannon, Dual Pistols, and Silenced Pistol.
- Traps (drops 2)
- Launch Pad to 44.44% from 9.6%.
- Cozy Campfire to 33.33% from 7.5%.
- Bouncer to 22.22% from 15%.
- Removed Damage Traps.
- Consumables (drops 2)
- Shield Potion to 20% from 19.1%
- Small Shield Potion to 17.50% from 12.7%
- Med Kit to 13.75% from 6.3%
- Slurp Juice to 11.25% from 5.11%
- Clinger to 10% from 6.3%
- Remote Explosives to 10% from 3.3%
- Impulse Grenade to 10% from 4%
- Chug Jug to 7.5% from 2.1%
- Removed Boogie Bombs, Grenades, Bandages, Stink Bombs, Port-a-Forts, and Bush.
- Materials (drops 2)
- Wood to 33% from 47.6%.
- Stone to 33% from 35.7%.
- Metal to 33% from 16.6%.
- New default keybindings for new players.
- All keyboard layouts will continue to default to the QWERTY bindings for new players or those who reset their back to default.
- Changed countdown timers to display more useful information
- Shows hours left instead of days when under 72 hours.
- Shows hours:minutes: seconds left when below 13 hours.
- Changed the background of the loading screen bullet points area to be partially translucent.
- Removed the “static noise” when switching tabs.
- The “Restore” button has been removed from the settings screen. Also, the “Reset Defaults” button has been renamed to “Reset”.
- Leaving the settings screen before applying changes will give the option to apply changes and exit or discard changes and exit.
- Double clicks now register as two clicks on a button, allowing for faster navigation through Next/Previous type buttons
- Items on the ground will properly have their stack counts updated if the stack size changes while the player is currently looking at them.
- Fixed a frame delay on some text layouts, which would cause large blocks of text to reflow their wrapping one frame after seeing them.
- Corrected text shadows that were appearing incorrectly in certain areas of the UI.