Want to know where to hunt and tame the animals in Fortnite? While you’re no longer able to hunt animals to craft primal gear via the Fortnite crafting system, you can still tame and attack them. There have been some minor changes to how animals behave in Fortnite in the newest Season.
Currently, there are six known animals that have been seen roaming the Fortnite island, each one found in specific locations. While the wolves are predatory and the boars aggressive towards just about anything, both the frogs and the chickens are harmless and adorable. Season 8 sees the return of raptors and the introduction of crows to the menagerie.
Join us as we go over every single animal you’ll find roaming around the map, including how to hunt a wolf in Fortnite. We’ll also give you their approximate locations, as well as all the steps you need to complete to tame wolves and boars, and everything you need to know about raptors and crows. It will be a bit of a wild time, so let’s go over the basics of hunting in Fortnite.
How to hunt animals in Fortnite
Actually killing the animals is relatively easy, as long as you have a gun. None of them has that much health and you’ll get meat for slaying them. Animals only appear in Solo, Duos, Trios, and Squads modes. They do not appear during Team Rumble mode, and it seems they don’t appear in any of the gimmick LTMs either.
Here are all the animals you can hunt in Fortnite:
- Chicken – We came across this one close to one of the mini-spires scattered across the map. They’re harmless and will run away from you. We’d also recommend looking anywhere near a farm. If you pick up a chicken by pressing F and jump, you’ll hover for a short time, in a similar way to Link in The Legend of Zelda.
- Wild boar – Boars can be found in any woodland area or farmland like Colossal Crops. They’re usually solitary and will attack people and will defend against wildlife attacking them. Boars can be tamed with veggies.
- Wolf – A predator that can be found in any woodland or mountainous areas, though they’re also found in and around Stealthy Stronghold. They usually hang around in packs of two or three. They will attack anything on sight except raptors but avoid civilised places where they can. Wolves can be tamed with meat.
- Raptors – A predator that can be found in most woodland areas. They usually hang around in packs of two and will attack anything on sight. Raptors can be tamed with meat.
- Frogs – These can be found near water and are also passive.
- Crows – These are found anywhere on the map. They fly away when you’re too close or make a loud noise
How to tame Boars in Fortnite
Here is how to tame boars in Fortnite:
- Head to any farm area with a cornfield and begin chopping with your pickaxe. You can also find corn in baskets in areas like Colossal Crops or the farm to the north close to the restaurant.
- Find a boar and throw the corn by aiming and pressing the fire button to lob it
- Wait for the boar to begin to approach the corn
- Run up to the boar and press the prompt to tame it.
The boar will now run alongside you. While the boar can take a fair bit of damage, it isn’t the best companion to have as it charges in straight lines.
How to tame wolves and raptors in Fortnite
Here is how to tame wolves and raptors in Fortnite:
- Kill any animal and pick up its meat.
- Find a wolf or raptor and hold the aim button while the meat is equipped. Fire it to throw the meat.
- Wait for the animal to slowly approach the meat, then run up to it and hold the interact button to tame it.
The wolf is now your sidekick, and it’ll go after any enemy that shoots at you and is currently the best companion, despite being a little more fragile than the boar. You sadly cannot pet the wolf or raptor.