The Genshin Impact 2.1 update is here and, as usual, there’s plenty of new content available in the charming anime game. In the 2.1 update, we can explore more of Inazuma, meet new Genshin Impact characters, and enjoy several new events and activities – and fishing is finally part of the game.
There are a wide variety of fish available to catch across Teyvat, and different fish are available in each region. You can only fish in specific locations where the water ripples outward in a circle, and the ‘fishing’ interaction appears. Then it’s time to grapple with the fish itself and attempt to keep the fish on the line.
Once you’ve successfully reeled in a fish, you have a few options: cook it into a succulent meal, exchange it at a Fishing Association, or – if it’s an Ornamental Fish – put it into a pond in your Serenitea Pot. Here’s everything we know about Genshin Impact fishing, including how to get a fishing rod, and the best fishing locations in Teyvat.
How to get the Genshin Impact fishing rod
To get the Genshin Impact fishing rod you must be Adventure Rank 30 or above, and have completed Ritou Escape Plan and unlocked the Serenitea Pot.
The quest Exploding Population will lead you to Nantuck on the shores of Cider Lake, who will teach you how to fish.
There is also a specialist fishing rod for each region, which is more effective in that particular area. You can get these specialist rods at the Fishing Association in each region.
- Windtangler – Mondstadt
Wishmaker – Liyue
- Narukawa Ukai – Inazuma
How to catch fish in Genshin Impact
You can fish by interacting with Fishing Points, which are marked by ripples in the water. You then need to select your rod and bait.
Selecting different bait will attract different kinds of fish, and certain fish only appear in particular areas. There are 20 types of fish, and each fish can appear as an ornamental or normal fish. Ornamental fish are more difficult to catch and are sent to your Serenitea Pot inventory instead of your ‘materials’ inventory.
- Hold down the cast button to aim, and let it go to cast. Try to aim the hook near a fish, but not so close that you scare it away.
- Once the fish takes the bait, press the ‘raise hook’ button – a bar will appear at the top showing your line tension.
- To reel the fish in, keep the line tension in the yellow highlighted zone.
- You can adjust your tension by holding and releasing the button.
- The circle beneath the bar shows your fishing progress – it will automatically complete while you have the tension in the yellow zone, and deplete when your tension is outside the zone.
- When it depletes entirely, the tension bar turns red. The fish is perilously close to escaping, so adjust your tension to prevent this from happening.
- When the bar turns orange, that means the fish is struggling intensely, and line tension will change more quickly.
Genshin Impact fishing locations
You can fish wherever you see rippling water. Each fishing spot has a different range of fish that can be caught there, so if you’re in search of a particular fish, you should consult the official interactive map, scroll down to ‘fishing’, select ‘hide all’, and then select the particular fish you’re looking for.
There are a few fish that can only be caught in one location. These are:
- Snowstrider: in the lake north of the Starglow Cavern in Dragonspine
- Abiding Angelfish: in the lake on Mt. Aocang
- Raimei Angelfish: near the shipwreck east of Tatarasuna in Inazuma, from 18:00 to 6:00
That’s all you need to know to catch fish in Genshin Impact – unfortunately, we don’t have any tips on how to catch Raiden Shogun or Kujou Sara during their event banner; you’ll just have to get lucky.