Want to know the locations of every Ashes of War in Elden Ring? Players can customise their weapons and shields using Ashes of War, a special item that imbues armaments with unique abilities. All armaments have their own weapon arts, however, you can switch these abilities out for something different. The Ashes of War also change the properties of your armaments, allowing you to use almost any weapon with your chosen build.
You can farm the Ashes of War to imbue multiple armaments with the same effect, and you have the option to duplicate your favourite effects. Don’t worry if you’re struggling to find more, you can always remove Ashes of War from any piece of equipment for free. It’s important to experiment with these abilities as they can make a huge difference in creating a powerful build.
The locations of the Ashes of War are fixed on the map, making it easy to create a strong build capable of defeating all of the Elden Ring bosses. Here’s everything you need to know about Ashes of War, including where you can find them and what they do.
How to use Ashes of War in Elden Ring
In order to access the Ashes of War menu, you need to find the Whetstone Knife located inside the Gatefront Ruins. This area contains a hidden cellar with a single chest inside holding the Whetstone Knife, giving you the ability to use Ashes of War on your armaments. You need to visit a Site of Grace to equip your Ashes of War, or take a trip to the blacksmith at the Roundtable Hold to duplicate your effects.
ELDEN RING ASHES OF WAR LIST
Here’s the list of all the Ashes of War we know about in Elden Ring:
- Ash of War: Barricade Shield (all shields) – Transfer energy into your sword to temporarily deflect stronger attacks
- Ash of War: Bloodhound Step (all melee armaments) – Your dodge roll receives a big upgrade, allowing you to move considerably faster with each roll, and you briefly turn invisible during the animation
- Ash of War: Carian Glintsword (all swords) – Your sword transforms into a glowing blue glintsword for one slash. This ability can be charged to increase its damage
- Ash of War: Determination (all weapons) – Charge up your weapon to increase the damage on your next attack
- Ash of War: Glintsword Arch (all thrusting weapons) – Summon an arch of glintswords above you that automatically attack nearby enemies
- Ash of War: Gravitas (medium to large weapons) – Plunge your weapon into the ground to perform an AoE attack, dragging nearby enemies towards you using a gravitational pull
- Ash of War: Hoarfrost Stomp (all melee armaments) – stamp on the ground to spread a freezing mist along the ground. The mist applies the frost status effect to any enemies that stand in it
- Ash of War: Holy Ground (all shields) – Hold your shield towards the sky to create an area on the ground which continuously restores health and boosts defence stats. This effect only applies to party members standing inside the circle
- Ash of War: Lightning Ram (all melee armaments) – Imbue your body in lightning before rolling forward, dealing lightning damage to anyone that touches you
- Ash of War: Piercing Fang (medium to large thrusting weapons) – Charge up and thrust forward with an unblockable attack
- Ash of War: Prelate’s Charge (colossal axes and large hammers) – Engulf your weapon in fire before plunging it into the ground, allowing you to charge into enemies before unleashing an upwards slash
- Ash of War: Repeating Thrust (all thrusting weapons) – Perform a twist and immediately lunge into several thrust attacks
- Ash of War: Seppuku (all swords and polearms capable of thrusting) – Stab yourself in the stomach to stain your weapon with blood, increasing your attack power and improving your ability to inflict blood loss
- Ash of War: Storm Blade (all slashing weapons) – Thrust forward to launch a short range projectile made of storms
- Ash of War: Storm Stomp (all weapons) – Stomp on the ground to create a miniature storm around you that damages surrounding enemies
- Ash of War: Thunderbolt (all weapons) – Thrust your weapon towards the sky, sending lightning through your weapon to call down a bolt of lightning. This ability can be used to fire several lightning bolts in quick succession
ELDEN RING ASHES OF WAR LOCATIONS
Ashes of War can be purchased from NPCs, as well as in random chests across the world, and as a drop from certain enemies. If you spot a scarab pushing a large ball around, be sure to kill it right away as a white ball typically represents an Ash of War. These scarabs disappear if you don’t kill them fast enough, so plan your course of attack as these bugs can be surprisingly fast.
Here are the locations of all the Ashes of War in Elden Ring:
- Ash of War: Barricade Shield – Held by Bloodhound Knight Darriwl at the Forlon Hound Evergaol in Stormhill
- Ash of War: Bloodhound Step – Dropped by the Night’s Cavalry outside Lenne’s Rise tower in Dragonbarrow
- Ash of War: Carian Glintsword – Held by Teardrop Scarabs
- Ash of War: Determination – Held by an invisible Teardrop Scarab at the beaches in Western Limgrave
- Ash of War: Glintsword Arch – Held by the Burial Tree Watchdog at Stormfoot Catacombs
- Ash of War: Gravitas – Found in Limgrave by entering the Cave of Knowledge at the Western Limgrave beaches
- Ash of War: Hoarfrost Stomp – Held by an invisible Teardrop Scarab towards the southeast of Caria Manor
- Ash of War: Holy Ground – Held by the Tree Sentinel in Limgrave
- Ash of War: Lightning Ram – Held by a Teardrop Scarab south of the Sainted Hero’s Grave Site of Grace
- Ash of War: Piercing Fang – Found in Limgrave
- Ash of War: Prelate’s Charge – Held by a Teardrop Scarab south of Whiteridge Road’s Site of Grace
- Ash of War: Repeating Thrust – Found in Limgrave and Gatefront Ruins
- Ash of War: Seppuku – Held by an invisible Teardrop Scarab close to the Freezing Late Site of Grace
- Ash of War: Storm Blade – Held by the Grave Warden in Murkwater Catacombs
- Ash of War: Storm Stomp – Found in the Stormveil Castle
- Ash of War: Thunderbolt – Outside the Stormveil Castle gates towards the cliffs on the side path
ELDEN RING ASHES OF WAR SCALING TYPES
There are six types of Ashes of War, each type affects the scaling and damage properties of armaments differently.
Keen Ashes of War: The weapon scales with dexterity, decreases base damage and strength. Available for all thrusting weapons.
- Ash of War: Piercing Fang
- Ash of War: Repeating Thrust
Lightning Ashes of War: The weapon gains lightning damage, decreases base damage and strength scaling. Available for all weapons.
- Ash of War: Thunderbolt
Magic Ashes of War: The weapon gains magic damage and intelligence scaling, reduces strength and dexterity scaling in addition to lower base damage. Available for all weapons.
- Ash of War: Carian Glintsword
- Ash of War: Glintsword Arch
- Ash of War: Gravitas
Quality Ashes of War: The weapon scaling is balanced between strength and dexterity, reduces base damage. Available for all weapons.
- Ash of War: Determination
- Ash of War: Storm Blade
- Ash of War: Storm Stomp
Sacred Ashes of War: The shield gains holy damage, decreases strength scaling, physical damage, and damage negation. Available for all shields.
- Ash of War: Holy Ground
Standard Ashes of War: The scaling and damage remains untouched. Available for all weapons and shields.
- Ash of War: Barricade Shield
And that’s everything you need to find the Ashes of War in Elden Ring. If you’re looking for more information on the RPG game, check out our Elden Ring crystal tear locations guide to learn more about the important healing flasks. Want to try something different? Head over to our best games like Dark Souls list to find a new world to explore.
Elden Ring Elden Ring $59.99 $50.39 Pre-order Network N earns affiliate commission from qualifying sales.