Want to know all of the Elden Ring Ashes of War locations? You can equip these powerful abilities onto specific weapon types to change their unique skills. They can also change the properties of your armaments, making just about every weapon in the game a viable option.
Not only can you customise the best Elden Ring weapons with the Ashes of War, but switching these abilities and properties may make the difference in constructing the best Elden Ring builds. The locations of the Ashes of War are fixed on the open-world game‘s map, making it reasonably easy to create a strong build capable of defeating all of the Elden Ring bosses. Here’s everything you need to know about Elden Ring Ashes of War, including where you can find them and what they do.
How to use Ashes of War in Elden Ring
In order to access the Ashes of War menu, you need to find the Whetstone Knife located inside the Gatefront Ruins. This area contains a hidden cellar with a single chest inside holding the Whetstone Knife, giving you the ability to use Ashes of War on your armaments. You need to visit a Site of Grace to equip your Ashes of War, or take a trip to the blacksmith at the Roundtable Hold to duplicate your effects.
Elden Ring Ashses of War list
Here’s the list of all the Ashes of War we know about in Elden Ring:
- Ash of War: Barricade Shield (all shields) – transfer energy into your sword to temporarily deflect stronger attacks.
- Ash of War: Bloodhound Step (all melee armaments) – your dodge roll receives a big upgrade, allowing you to move considerably faster with each roll, and you briefly turn invisible during the animation.
- Ash of War: Carian Glintsword (all swords) – your sword transforms into a glowing blue Glintsword for one slash. This ability can be charged to increase its damage.
- Ash of War: Determination (all weapons) – charge up your weapon to increase the damage on your next attack.
- Ash of War: Glintsword Arch (all thrusting weapons) – summon an arch of Glintswords above you that automatically attack nearby enemies.
- Ash of War: Gravitas (medium to large weapons) – plunge your weapon into the ground to perform an AoE attack, dragging nearby enemies towards you using a gravitational pull.
- Ash of War: Hoarfrost Stomp (all melee armaments) – stamp on the ground to spread a freezing mist along the ground. The mist applies the frost status effect to any enemies that stand in it.
- Ash of War: Holy Ground (all shields) – Hold your shield towards the sky to create an area on the ground which continuously restores health and boosts defence stats. This effect only applies to party members standing inside the circle.
- Ash of War: Lightning Ram (all melee armaments) – Imbue your body in lightning before rolling forward, dealing lightning damage to anyone that touches you.
- Ash of War: Piercing Fang (medium to large thrusting weapons) – charge up and thrust forward with an unblockable attack.
- Ash of War: Prelate’s Charge (colossal axes and large hammers) – engulf your weapon in flames before plunging it into the ground, allowing you to charge into enemies before unleashing an upwards slash.
- Ash of War: Repeating Thrust (all thrusting weapons) – perform a twist and immediately lunge into several thrust attacks.
- Ash of War: Seppuku (all swords and polearms capable of thrusting) – stab yourself in the stomach to stain your weapon with blood, increasing your attack power and improving your ability to inflict blood loss.
- Ash of War: Storm Blade (all slashing weapons) – thrust forward to launch a short range projectile made of storms.
- Ash of War: Storm Stomp (all weapons) – stomp on the ground to create a miniature storm around you that damages surrounding enemies.
- Ash of War: Thunderbolt (all weapons) – thrust your weapon towards the sky, sending lightning through your weapon to call down a bolt of lightning. This ability can be used to fire several lightning bolts in quick succession.
Elden Ring Ashes of War locations
You can purchase Ashes of War from NPCs, as well as find them in random chests across the world. They also rarely appear as item drops from specific enemies. If you ever spot a scarab pushing a large ball around, be sure to kill it right away, as a white ball typically indicates it’s holding an Ash of War. These scarabs disappear if you don’t kill them fast enough, so make sure you corner them or get those hits in before they vanish. If you do miss them, the scarabs will respawn if you leave the area and return a while later.
Here are the locations of all the Ashes of War in Elden Ring:
- Ash of War: Barricade Shield – held by Bloodhound Knight Darriwl at the Forlon Hound Evergaol in Stormhill.
- Ash of War: Bloodhound Step – dropped by the Night’s Cavalry outside Lenne’s Rise tower in Dragonbarrow.
- Ash of War: Carian Glintsword – held by Teardrop Scarabs.
- Ash of War: Determination – held by an invisible Teardrop Scarab at the beaches in Western Limgrave.
- Ash of War: Glintsword Arch – held by the Burial Tree Watchdog at Stormfoot Catacombs.
- Ash of War: Gravitas – found in Limgrave by entering the Cave of Knowledge at the Western Limgrave beaches.
- Ash of War: Hoarfrost Stomp – held by an invisible Teardrop Scarab towards the southeast of Caria Manor.
- Ash of War: Holy Ground – held by the Tree Sentinel in Limgrave.
- Ash of War: Lightning Ram – held by a Teardrop Scarab south of the Sainted Hero’s Grave Site of Grace.
- Ash of War: Piercing Fang – found in Limgrave.
- Ash of War: Prelate’s Charge – held by a Teardrop Scarab south of Whiteridge Road’s Site of Grace.
- Ash of War: Repeating Thrust – found in Limgrave and Gatefront Ruins.
- Ash of War: Seppuku – held by an invisible Teardrop Scarab close to the Freezing Late Site of Grace.
- Ash of War: Storm Blade – held by the Grave Warden in Murkwater Catacombs.
- Ash of War: Storm Stomp – found in the Stormveil Castle.
- Ash of War: Thunderbolt – outside the Stormveil Castle gates towards the cliffs on the side path.
Elden Ring Ashes of War scaling types
There are six types of Ashes of War, each type affects the scaling and damage properties of armaments differently.
Keen Ashes of War: The weapon scales with dexterity and decreases base damage and strength. Available for all thrusting weapons.
- Ash of War: Piercing Fang
- Ash of War: Repeating Thrust
Lightning Ashes of War: The weapon gains lightning damage and decreases base damage and strength scaling. Available for all weapons.
- Ash of War: Thunderbolt
Magic Ashes of War: The weapon gains magic damage and intelligence scaling and reduces strength and dexterity scaling in addition to lower base damage. Available for all weapons.
- Ash of War: Carian Glintsword
- Ash of War: Glintsword Arch
- Ash of War: Gravitas
Quality Ashes of War: The weapon scaling is balanced between strength and dexterity while also reducing base damage. Available for all weapons.
- Ash of War: Determination
- Ash of War: Storm Blade
- Ash of War: Storm Stomp
Sacred Ashes of War: The shield gains holy damage and decreases strength scaling, physical damage, and damage negation. Available for all shields.
- Ash of War: Holy Ground
Standard Ashes of War: The scaling and damage remain untouched. Available for all weapons and shields.
- Ash of War: Barricade Shield
And that’s everything you need to find the Ashes of War in Elden Ring. If you want more information on the RPG game, check out our Elden Ring crystal tear locations guide to learn more about the important healing flasks. If you have somehow exhausted the open world of The Lands Between, head over to our best PC games list so you can find a brand new world to explore.