So, you want to play Pokémon in Minecraft? Luckily, there’s a mod that’ll allow you to do just that, so you can catch ’em all in Minecraft’s blocky universe.
Pixelmon Generations is a Pokémon mod you can apply to Minecraft to transform the game into a pixelated Pokémon paradise. You’ll find Pokémon roaming the many biomes on your journey from the likes of Bulbasaur to Ditto that you can catch, tame, and fight with. Pixelmon is a Pokémon-inspired world in Minecraft, so you’ll still be able to visit shops, gyms, and centers as you would in Pokémon.
If you want to combine your favourite games, then here’s how to get the Minecraft Pokémon mod, including how to download Pixelmon Generations, and a full list of all the console commands for the best experience.
To download Pixelmon Generations you’ll need to do the following:
- The first thing is to install Minecraft Forge
- Once installed open Minecraft and find ‘launch options’, click advanced settings, add new, and under the ‘version tab’ select the downloaded version of Forge
- Save this and head back to the play options and select the saved Forge version
- Close Minecraft and head to Pixelmon Generations
- Download the latest version of Pixelmon, this is only available for the Java Edition
- Go to Minecraft’s game directory, you can find this by typing %appdata%\.minecraft into the windows search bar
- In the Minecraft game directory, find the folder called ‘mods’ and drag the downloaded Pixelmon Generations file into that folder
- You’re now ready to boot up Minecraft!
If you’ve stumbled across Pixelmon Reforged, you may be wondering what the difference is between Reforged and Generations? Well, although they are both mods, and Reforged can also be downloaded to mod Pokémon into Minecraft as well – they both have different development teams.
So, expect the updates and latest versions of each mod to differ. Both versions of the popular Pokémon mod offer a great experience, although Generations offers slightly more updates to the content on a regular basis and has more 7th gen Pokémon than Reforged. Although Reforged is undoubtedly smoother, they both offer a very authentic Pokémon experience.
Here is a list of all the console commands in Pixelmon Generations:
If you’re still unsure of what to expect from Pixelmon Generations, then this Pixelmon Wiki of all the gameplay features and mod details is a great one to bookmark if you want to keep updated on Pixelmon and it’s latest development.
If you want to play with other like-minded Pokémon fans, there are dedicated Pixelmon servers where you can do just that. Here’s a list of the best Minecraft servers, where we recommend PixelmonCraft. You can join other Pokémon trainers as they adventure through a replication of Pokémon towns and villages – with Pokémon replacing animals that you can catch by hunting down and crafting pokeballs.